Ouch! My foot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm home from the doctor...finally. Thank goodness.

My appointment with the orthopedic surgeon was this afternoon at 2:30pm. Since I wasn't able to get an appointment in the city where I live (and at the main campus of the hospital I was seen at yesterday) I had to travel 1.5 hours to the doctor's office. The surgeon came in, took one look at my foot, took a glance at the x-ray, and proclaimed that I did, in fact, have a partial rupture of my achille's tendon. Thankfully, since it was only a partial tear, he didn't feel that surgery would be the best option for me. Instead, he fit me with a boot that I'll need to wear for the next month (possibly up to 6 weeks). I'm non-weight bearing for this weekend, but starting Monday I'll be able to put weight on my foot while also using the crutches. I need the crutches for at least 2 weeks and then I'll move on to just using the boot. Once the 4 weeks are up, I'll be able to start physical therapy and that will run for another 4-6 weeks. All the while, I'll have x-rays and scans of my foot, ankle, and leg to ensure that things are healing as they should. It feels daunting right now, but at least I know what I'm up against.

As it turns out, not only was I not cleared for work this weekend, but I'm not allowed to return for another week -- I can't go back to work until March 1st. As soon as my appointment was through I did make the call to my work. I spoke with my boss and, needless to say, he wasn't happy. But, he did say he understood and said that he'd put me on the schedule again starting a week from Monday. He asked me to check in mid-week and I said I would, but it was an awkward conversation. I'm not feeling good about things and I'm incredibly stressed about work, but I don't have much of a choice here -- if I push myself and work despite the doctor not clearing me, I run the risk of a full rupture. That means a definite date with a scalpel. So, it is what it is. I'm not happy, but at least I'm being given the chance to recover. And I'm grateful for that.

On an aside, the doctor upped the dose of Vicodin I'm allowed and I'm now feeling quite a bit better. I'm also thankful that the cast has been removed. The boot is far more comfortable (and allows me to shower -- thank God). I'm still not incredibly mobile, but I'm better off than I was before. I have a lot to be grateful for. I wish I wasn't as bitter as I am right now, but I do know it'll get better in time.

Thank you all for your continued support. I have had a rough go of things lately, but that's all the more reason for me to keep my chin up -- it can only get better from here
!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you are going to listen to the doc and stay off that foot. Pushing only reuslts in more loss, I have been there.

I seriously injured my foot and didn't want to let anyone down so continued to work and ignore it until one night I realized I was so lame I was crawling around my apartment at night to do household chores.

do you think any of the families I provide services for noticed I was lame, or cared? You can bet not. Even calling them and telling them I was unable to walk, so would not be available for a few weeks,, they were still trying to get me to come. And I ended up losing about twice as much time as I would have if I'd taken care of it right away. Not only that there is permanent damage that could have been avoided, if I had not tried so hard to not inconvenience everyone.

So you listen to your docs, and take your pain pills and stay off that leg.

xo