OTT kitty!

twinkle80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have three cats. Two around two years old and one is a 3 month old kitten we adopted around a month ago. The problem is our kitten Mylo keeps trying to 'play' pretty aggressively with the older cats. He is jumping at them every chance he gets. At first we thought they would sort him out but they see him off and in minutes he's back at them to the point where one of them now has taken to being out as much as he can be which i worry about because hd used to be in at night. So now we are intervening and stopping him but it is constant- every few minutes. They all eat together without an issue an he is really respectful of our dog who loves to play with him an they have so much fun together. But I am worrying that the older two feel pushed out. I make a big fuss of them every chance I get but I didn't think this would go on for so long.is there something I should be doing? How can I stop him doing this. Any advice much appreciated.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS.

Unfortunately he's a kitten and just doing what kittens will do. Play, and play a lot!
You could distract him by playing with him yourself more, wearing him out with wand toys like the one called the Da-bird, ect. Making him leap and jump will take off some of his excess energy.

Do your older cats have any vertical spaces they can escape to? Giving them places they can get away from him could help. As he grows, he should settle some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twinkle80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. Thanks . I am hoping that once he can go outside he'll be less full on with them. Distracting him works for a while but he soon back onto them! They have plenty of high places to get to but unfortunately flash doesn't wanna be in the same room. Fingers crossed they settle soon. He's such anaffectionate kitten and enthusiastic with us and them. Bless him. Alfie seems more able to deal with him. But flash getting really put out which is a shame. He is a very independent boy and has always liked contact with anyone only on his terms since we had him. Just hoping they settle together. Sure they will sooner or later

santan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha! Sorry, but been there, done that.

Your Mylo is doing all the things that are age appropriate for him. The problem is that your older kitties have outgrown all that silliness and mostly just want to sleep, etc. Mylo WILL grow out of it and they all WILL sort themselves out eventually.

Over the years, I've had youngers with olders and ran myself ragged trying to keep the peace until I finally realized that the older cats will, when they reach saturation point, issue the smack-down that is necessary to teach juniors their manners. You can keep an eye on them to make sure no blood is drawn, etc., but they need to solve their interactions themselves. And they will. They always do.

:-D