Otherwise perfect cat, biting all the time

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have a 1.5 year old cat who I got from a shelter about a month ago. Normally, he is the calmest, most laid back cat ever. I live right next to wrigley field, and he lays in my sunroom all day as the crowds are cheering 30 feet away. He sleeps on my bed, and enjoys playing a lot. Basically, he is well adjusted in almost every area. I can usually always scratch him on his head without causing any issues, and he really likes it most times. However, the second I try to move from his head to his back, or sides, he tries to grab my hand with his paws and then he bites me. It's not a hard bite, and it hasn't ever broke the skin (though he has left indents a few times), but it is consistent, and the only option is for me to move away or he will move to my hand and keep nipping.

I work from home, so I play with my cat multiple times a day, and we play until he gets tired and/or bored so I don't know how it could be excessive energy. Does anyone have any advice or insight in dealing with this problem? Thanks

seulf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no cat expert, but it sounds to me like he is trying to play with you. Especially since he isn't breaking skin. I don't think it is excessive energy causing him to want to play, he just enjoys being around you and feels comfortable enough to play with you. :p

From what I have read, the best thing to do is tell him no when he bites you, then ignore him for a bit. Like I said, I am not a cat expert, and don't have any experience with this kind of cat biting, but that is what I have read personally.

ladygananoque

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kitty is still young, i had a cat that used to attack my hands whenever i put them near her but she got older and grew out of it, i think this is the same kind of situation.

kami kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are prone to sensory overload/overstimulation & they react just as you have described, back off before kitty responds in a negative way.

kwren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of ours does that in the process of attempting to groom his people the same way he grooms his feline buddies. when i am snuggling him on my lap he will grab my hand with his paws and bring it down to his face, and while purring he will nibble and lick me. the nibbling can HURT!

does it seem like he may be trying to groom you?