Other Cats Changes in Behavior after Death of One

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have noticed a real difference in Muffin's behavior since we lost Speedboat in January. Muffin has always been a very laid back sweet, loving cat. He is the only one I would really trust with my grandchildren as far as letting them play and pet all they wanted to. Some things he never did are purring and meowing. Since Speedboat died, Muffin purrs really loud and he meows and talks to us. He never did either one. Has anyone else noticed such significant changes in their cat's behavior when their buddy cat friend is no longer there.
Just wondering.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, this happened to one of my cats after we lost the other one that he grew up with since he was a kitten. (they were together almost 18 years). He was looking everywhere for him around the house, was much more vocal, crying very loudly as if he was calling for him. He was never really the same cat after he lost his brother. I wish I would have gotten another cat a month or two after the other one died so he wasn't so lonely. I think it would have made a difference. Right now my two boys are very close and I'll probably get a third cat at some point because I don't want them to be alone if something happened to one of them. You might want to think about getting Muffin a friend...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, at the time Speedboat died, he and Muffin were best buds. But there were three cats, the third, being Mattie a 6 yr. old female. She was just kind of out there, a third wheel. But finally Muffin and Mattie have grown closer. I catch them sleeping close to each other and Muffin grooms her sometimes. So this behavior is in spite of Mattie being here. Something just changed him.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's probably just his way of mourning the loss of his friend. All you can do is give him extra attention and eventually he'll probably start acting more like himself again.