Othello is Sick! I don't know what to do, help!!!!!!

taleea brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

So, my cat, Othello (Jello for short) has been quite sick for this whole week, almost. I am taking him to the vet today, because his condition didn't seem to get any better. For awhile I thought he had maybe just an upset stomach or something of the sort, but his condition has been bad for a long time now. Here are his conditions:

-Vomiting. He has done so at least 12 times. At the beginning, he vomited up his wet food. I thought maybe he was allergic to this, since we just started feeding him this kind. It is the wet food version of his dry food which I get from the vet. He has thrown up everything he's had to eat for 4 days, except for last night where he had a little bit of water and a few small kibbles of dry food. His vomit at first was chunky and yellowish brown colored. And then it was watery and a pumpkin orange color, and last night before he had something to eat, he vomited again, and it was VERY watery and this ogre green color.

-Lethargy. He barely moves at all, which is really unusual for him because normally he is at least very motile. He always followed me everywhere, but lately he has been hiding under things, the table, the end table, behind the couch, under the little island we have in our kitchen... And he barely moves places all day.

-His third eyelid is showing sometimes. This makes him seem really sleepy?

-loss of appetite. He barely eats at all, which is strange for him. He is normally constantly nagging me for food... He doesn't seem to want to eat, and the only time he will eat is right after he throws up, and sometimes he will throw it up a few hours after he eats it. He is barely absorbing any nutrients. 

-He doesn't meow unless he is about to throw up... He lets out this huge "MEOOOOOOOOOOOOOW" And then I come running to him... And he throws up vast amounts at a time, like probably close to everything that's in his tummy is suddenly on my carpet.

-His fur seems dull compared to how it usually is. I am assuming this is because he's not grooming himself.

PLEASE HELP ME. I don't know what to do before I go to the Vet tomorrow! I just would like to have some idea of what's wrong with him >~<

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At first, you say you are taking him to the vet today. But at the end of the post, you say tomorrow. It needs to be today.

The third eyelid showing could be a sign of an infection brewing somewhere. Glad you are taking him in - as soon as possible. Not eating is very dangerous in cats and can lead to serious complications in his liver which takes months to resolve. Also, if your cat is not eating wet or drinking very much, he is most likely very dehydrated and needs to see a vet.

I'd howl if I knew I was about to throw up, again and again. His stomach is probably quite tender from throwing up and he is producing stomach acid that does not have any food to be absorbed by.

Please let us know how it goes at the vet.

janelovescats13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See if he will take some unflavored pedialyte mixed in water. Do 50/50. That should help with his energy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taleea brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! Yeah, sorry, I don't know why I wrote tomorrow. I guess I am just so panicky. I am taking him in today, but it won't be until this evening. I didn't take him sooner because, yesterday it seemed like his condition was getting better, and he was more active and lively last night, so I thought he would be fine. But, unfortunately he's not... He threw up even as I was writing the first post... This last one was the same as the last two, really watery, but it was more  of a yellow color. He has absolutely no energy left. He's been sitting in the exact same spot in the same position for like 2 hours... He will at least try to eat some of his dry food. The wet food wasn't agreeing with him at all... I am new to this cat so I don't know in which ways he would display pain. I tried to kind of poke him in places to see if he showed any pain in his tummy, but he didn't move and inch or mew at all, or even growl at me... 

I really hope it's not liver problems. I am just a student, it's hard for me to pay for veterinary services. But he is an indoor cat, so I was hoping this kind of thing wouldn't happen. I've had a cat when I lived at my parents house for 17 years, and I knew how he showed pain, but with this kitty I have no idea... At first I thought it was allergies, but now I don't think so... I have no idea what it could be. He doesn't seem jaundiced, but I'm not a vet, so I can't really tell... >~<

I will let you guys know how it goes at the vet!!! >~< Thanks for replying Q_Q So nice of you!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you are getting Othello to the vet today.  If you can get an appointment any sooner than this evening by describing his condition to the surgery I would do that.  Also, if they can't fit him in sooner ask if there is anything you can do - I would resist giving him anything other than plain water and food,  including pedialyte, without a vet's advice when you don't know what is causing this.   Good vibes for your contact and visit to the vet and I hope they can help Othello quickly.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did the vet say about poor Othello
we all want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year my cat Sebastian threw up 12 times in one night, was very lethargic, and anorexic. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and now has chronic pancreatitis.

What you describe could be many things. I hope you get some answers from the vet.

taleea brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys >~<

So, the vet said he has a bladder infection, but he could also have some gastro-intestinal problems. He said we should just try to treat the bladder infection first. 

He's not doing much better this morning, actually at all. He threw up twice already. I gave him his nausea medication at 9:30 AM, and he didn't improve, and he didn't eat anything or drink anything.

He is supposed to be taking Amoxicilin for his bladder, but since it can only be taken with food, he hasn't had any yet... I am going to try to feed him something with a syringe, but he keeps hiding from me...

I am going to the vet again to get him a food that won't be so upsetting to his tummy. Maybe he will eat it.

The vet said his glucose levels were WAY too high, from stress. His sodium levels were too low, which causes the lethargy. And his bladder infection is what causes him all the pain so he doesn't want to eat.

He was checked for pancreatitis, but he doesn't have that. My other cat at my mom's house (he's 17) also has chronic pancreatitis. I am glad Othello doesn't have that...

What can I do to get him to eat something? I will try mushing something up and giving him it slowly with a syringe...

Thanks!

-Taleea

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @Taleea Brown....there is an excellent video on TCS, made by a member, showing how to syringe feed a cat.....here:   http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating

Warming up the mushy wet food....sometimes helps a cat to eat, because they rely on their sense of smell.  And giving him whatever favorite food he likes....in case he does not want the vet food....is okay, ...until he begins to eat normally.  It is crucial that a cat eats.

The main thing is to call your vet and tell them that he is not eating....and also ask if there is an injectable form of the antibiotic.  Also not sure if your vet gave Othello some hydrating fluid to make him feel better.  Good Luck and best wishes for Othello.

Last edited:

taleea brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! That video helped a lot! I didn't have a bag, but I wrapped up Jello in my baby blanket. He's not much of a fuss at the moment cause he has no energy. I am worried about accidentally giving him too much and having him vomit again, but I just gave him his antibiotics, so hopefully he will feel a bit better now. I also gave him his nausea medication a bit before that. I know the Amoxicilin makes him feel worse in his tummy, so I hope that the nausea medication will let him keep the food down. I didn't give him much. Maybe like... two teaspoons of food mixed with water, and he didn't even get that much. I hope he will get his appetite back! He seems really put-off right now, in general...

Hopefully he can keep it down >~< He hasn't had much food for 5 days. At the vet yesterday we discovered he's lost 4 lbs... Not good. :<