Oscar the bully

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, Oscar and Ellie have made significant progress and Ellie has been sleeping out of her room for two weeks!

Ellie will be peaceful and the bully will just swat at her or jump on her. Like he gets in a mood to be a bully.

Any suggestions?

I have bully solution by Jackson or if he's in one of those moods I should lock him in the room for 5 minutes or something

Any ideas helpful

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How is Ellie reacting to these episodes by Oscar? Is she swatting back, or running away? If the latter, does she come back quickly? A lot of what to do with Oscar depends on how Ellie is reacting to it.

You can pick up Oscar say 'No' or hiss in his face (pick one) and then place him in a timeout - but 5 minutes is probably too long. I think they tend to forget why they are in timeout after a couple of minutes. The key with this tactic is consistency, so that each time he does it he learns that he will pay a price for doing so and then potentially 're-think' whether it is worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner thanks for that.

Oscar swats at her and then will run after her and get on top of her... She gets away and then he does the same thing.

Sometimes when he's on top of her she makes a noise like get off me

No blood or anything

He is also 15 lbs and she is 7 so

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner how does this differ from spraying with water?

I know people say don't do that

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never spray with water, that just makes them afraid of you. Cats do not respond to physical punishment, they are not pack animals like dogs, they are too independent. Get a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it towards the bully when he is stalking her. They are irresistible. Hissing at them is in their own language so they understand it means NO. I have held them down by the skin on the back of their necks and hissed or said NO loudly for a few seconds until they get the point too. This they understand because they are disciplined by mama this way when they are young. Never pick a grown cat up this way though, they are too heavy. Just hold them down until they still every time they do this, it has to be consistent.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob Oscar is definitely to heavy 😂😂. I like the idea of holding him down and hissing. Assuming it has to be a few seconds after the incident?

I mean Oscar is in the act how do I stop it?

I get the after part but not during

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a grip on the loose skin on the back of his neck while he is on top of her and pull him sideways off of her, or get him soon after he gets off so he knows what he is being hissed at for. Say something as you approach so he is not startled into attacking YOU!