orphans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

craftyestrickla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it has taken so long for an update. The babies are great. They are eating hard food and I am bottlefeeding 2 x a day. The bottle is more for me than them! Everyone is using the litterbox. I had to put 3 with them because if one is occupied and another needs to go, they will not go in the occupied one. They are climbing everything! My legs are tore up from them using me as a jungle gym! they have lots of toys and I love watching thm stalk each other. Reminds me of baby Simba from the Lion King. They are around 6 weeks old now, and the 2 that are going to other omes will be leaving next weekend. I will miss them both, but at least 2 will be with me and the other with my son, so I can see it anytime. They do great in the car, other than me not being able to corral them so they are everywhere! I have 2 new pics. The one of the lone kitten is Circe. She is one that I am keeping. The other is how they sleep. It is a bamboo box and they hang 1/2 way out of it. They opened there eyes as I snapped the pic, but that is actually how they lay. I am also keeping the striped male. Any Ideas on names? Spike is stuck in my head for some reason, but kind of want a Greek mythology name to go with Circe.
Thanks again for everything
Emily
[/IMG]
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/craftyestrickland/cid__0428001741.jpg[/IMG]

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way they can stay with their siblings a bit longer. Our vet told my daughter the other day, don't let them go any sooner than 8 weeks. As important as human contact is, kitten to kitten contact is more important at this stage.

If you can see your way clear to hold out till 8 weeks, you will probably have better socialized kittens. They really need the interactive play at this stage.

finsterhead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my vet said 8 at the very least, but that keeping for 9 or 10 is the very best. Just a suggestion. Mine are 5 weeks now and I will keep them at least another three...possibly four or five. That's both for their benefit and mine. lol

craftyestrickla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I am going to keep them a little longer. They are so cute right now. Totally weened. They run, jump and play. I love watching them stalk each other. They are into everything! Think I said before that I have bred dogs in the past. I can't believe the difference between behavior in puppies and kittens! I think Kittens are more labor intensive because they can climb things and puppys can't. I will never complain about puppies getting into trouble! Still looking for a home for 1, and a friend of mine has kittens under the porch. They are just now comming out and playing. I have been asked if I can find homes for them also, but I don't know if I should mix the 2. Any suggestions?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw the babies photos, they are adorable.

Did you mix the two litters?

craftyestrickla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. They are all from the same litter. I don't know if it would be ok to put the 2 litters together, since the others have been outside with no human contact. Plus, I am sure there is a flea issue and I don't want to expose these babies, my dogs or my birds to that. I really would like to take in the other litter to give them a chance at life, but I don't know that it would be safe for all of my other animals. I was suprised when I found this litter at the vast difference between them all. Have short medium and long hair with siamese looking, striped and solid black. Again, thought I had a pretty firm grasp of genetics, ect with the dogs, but I was badly mistaken! What is even worse is that I have become so attached to them all I do not want to let any of them go. I think instead of being the crazy cat lady, I am going to be the crazy animal lady! I would have no problem opening my own petting zoo at this point! 10 zebra finches, 5 kittens, 6 mini schnauzers and a giant schnauzer on the way (will have by september)! I guess I am a glutton for punishment! Seriously I am about to open a boarding facility withing the next 2 months and I will be doing rescue work. I have dabbled in both and now is the perfect time for me to jump in head first.
I just wanted some opinions about taking in the other litter with all of my other animals.
Thanks

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by craftyestrickla

I just wanted some opinions about taking in the other litter with all of my other animals.
Thanks
We love crazy animal ladies here.

So that your question does not get lost in this thread, it might be a good idea to start a separate thread with this important question.

How are the kittens doing?