Orphaned Kitten Stopped Peeing

Lady Anarchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was recently given a small kitten who was said to be abandoned. I live on a rescue farm so being asked to care for animals is common. We have had this little one for about a week and its eyes are just starting to open. It had been or ring just fine, however now it doesn't seem to be peeing at all when stimulated. Its only pooped about once a week and its last one was as long as its little tail. I have been feeding it a mix of kmr and raw goats milk. Should I be mixing the formula with water? The kitten is quite fat.
20170501_183251.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the KMR should be mixed with water. The kitten does not need both.

You can add a drop or two of olive oil to the formula to help stimulate poop.

Although a kitten does not need to poop every single day, it should pee several times a day.

What is the kitten's weight and how much and how often are you feeding it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lady Anarchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago she was 5.8oz I believe (ill give a more accurate weight when I can find my scale. I feed it every 2-3 hours including nights.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L Lady Anarchy

The kitten's weight is right for its age. The kitten should get 5-6 mLs per feeding every 3 hours.

I think if you mix the KMR with water - it's 2 parts water and one part powder - the kitten should start peeing.

Let me know how this goes! :)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the KMR should be mixed with water. The kitten does not need both.

You can add a drop or two of olive oil to the formula to help stimulate poop.

Although a kitten does not need to poop every single day, it should pee several times a day.

What is the kitten's weight and how much and how often are you feeding it?
I am going to agree to disagree with you. I am not arguing, just stating my experience.
I have always used 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk, and never had a problem with their peeing. They would all pee before and after feeding and they peed a lot during the stimulation.
like I said, I'm not arguing, you know bunches more than I. But, this is my experience.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he/she has an infection? I would take him/her to the vet to be safe.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I too Im a believer of goats milk, especielly raw goats milk. But what TS describes hints strongly dehydration. Both the non peeing, and this seldom done pooing. So more water is needed. Either a couple of drops between each feeding, or mix in some water in the KMR / Goats milk.
Kashmir suggestion of 1 part KMR and 3 of goats milk, instead of 2 parts water, sounds good.

Still, at this moment the kitten is dehydrated, so it must have more water now, before you go into the steady routine of 1+3.

Also, some coldpressed oil is good to help with constipation: rapeseed, olive or coconut. Almost any food oil will work, but the coldpressed (preferably also organic style) is good nourishment by itself, so it works double.
Minerale oil is even more potent, but where find minerale oil of food quality?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. someone mentioned the non peeing may be some medical inflammation, needing vet check up. This is of course fully possible... I cant rule this out, even if the given dosage hints some lack of water.

And make sure you have a working scale, preferably measuring in grammes. Its a good way to notice changes - gaining, losing. Its also a good way to count the daily need - which is 8ml / oz/ 30 grammes a day. A kitten of 5oz - about 150 grammes, needs 8x5 = 40 ml of kmr or goats milk a day; given every 2-3 hours. (weak ones may need more often)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this age the kitten may be peeing on his/her own and not waiting until you stimulate. Check for wet spots in the bedding. If the kitten truly isn't peeing at all, that's an emergency and requires a vet visit ASAP.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten had the same problem my vet soaked her little bottom in warm water and she peed alot her little bladder was so full.. But you have to make sure to dry your baby really good and keep her warm because they can't regulate there body temp that young and can cause peeing and pooping problems if not warm enough..Good luck.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten had the same problem my vet soaked her little bottom in warm water and she peed alot her little bladder was so full.. But you have to make sure to dry your baby really good and keep her warm because they can't regulate there body temp that young and can cause peeing and pooping problems if not warm enough..Good luck.
This made me think of something I didn't before.
Make sure to have a heating pad, wrapped in a towel or blanket, set on low. Kittens cannot regulate their body temp nor will they digest food properly if cold.

Lady Anarchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At what age do these little guys start to explore and sleep less? Mine has started escaping the box after I've feed, burped and stimulated it.

Lady Anarchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems like the it had peed on the blanket over the heating pad. All is well and it has been eating about 6ml every feeding. But it just does not like its box.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The exploring is surely common enough. As we have seen on youtube if nothing else, its an eternal hedache for mom anxiously / impatiently carrying them back... You having orphans do see that in full.... If it bothers you, just to make the nest deeper, have them in a deeper cardboard box... :)

Good the guess on them peeing by themselves somewhere without you noticing it, was the correct guess. Still, I think he is somewhat dehydrated, so proceed along the skissed suggestions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens do not want to be contained after about 3 weeks. They do need to be in a safe room if they are allowed to explore. They do not need a whole house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a large plastic dog carrier, or a solid-bottomed (no wire floors!) rabbit/guinea pig cage, those are ideal for containing young kittens. It's much too dangerous for them to have free run of the house, or even a bedroom sometimes. You want it to be big enough to have the litterbox on the opposite end from the food and water, and have a cushy bed area. Besides the safety issue, I've also noticed that kittens who are kept in a smaller enclosure at that age develop better litterbox habits. That can be one of the hardest parts of raising orphans!