Orphan Kitten Refusing Milk

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, it's kitten season. Drat! I volunteer at a local animal shelter, and our kitten nursery is large and growing-- 5 cats are back there, two of which have babies (the nursery holds 12 newborns overall) and 3 of which are heavily pregnant soon-to-be mamas ready to burst any day now.

My foster kitten, who I've named Minnie, is around 10-12 days old we think. The litter she came in were accepted by one mama cat, all except her. When she arrived at our shelter, she was stiff and cold and I guess mama thought she would die so held the healthier kittens as a priority over her.

Anyway, Minnie's first bottle feed was awesome! Enthusiastic (perhaps too enthusiastic, a small part of me fears she aspirated after I began hearing strange gurgling noises for a few minutes, haven't heard them since though), cooperative, and oh so much easier than a syringe (I had been using the syringe at the shelter, switched to bottle at home). Well, that was it, that first bottle feeding that I did about 8 hours ago. She won't take a bottle anymore-- I've been using a syringe again for every feeding after that.

She's very skinny. I can feel her little ribs and spine sticking out much too prominently. I'm force feeding her at this point, which I hate to do, but there's nothing else to do, is there?

This is my main concern (so I apologize for this kinda being all over-- I'm a VERY over protective and nervous kitty mama): How much does she need? As I said, she's estimated at 10-12 days. I weighed her twice today, both times she weighed 160 grams. She's also pooped twice today and peed quite a lot. Poop was very good first time, just short of diarrhea the second. But, the bulk of what I want: how much do I give her? I've been trying to get a minimum of 6ml in her, but that just isn't feasible with how she fights me. If it's life or death and she NEEDS 6 or more every feeding (I feed her every 2-3 hours, though with the syringe it takes me an hour+ to get through one feeding), I'll suck it up and do it. Because she's so small, does she need more than that? Or is under 6ml per feeding acceptable? I want nothing more for Minnie to kick through this and prove everyone wrong by growing into a big, strong kitty.

ULTIMATE TAKEAWAY (again, sorry this has been everywhere): ~10-12 day old kitten. 160 grams. Refuses to eat but force fed via syringe every 2- 3 hours. How much do I need to (practically; I'm very gentle) force into her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She needs 45mLs each 24 hours. If you feed every 3 hours, that's about 5.5-6mLs per feeding.

She weighs 5.6 ounces right now. At 2 weeks old (which she isn't yet), she should weigh 8 ounces. So you are on the right track!

You can feed every 2 hours if she takes it better. It would be 3.75mLs. It may be that 6mLs is too much for her tummy at one time.

Hopefully, she'll stop fighting the syringe soon and possibly even go back to the bottle. You do feed her on her tummy with head up? Never on the back.

If you think she's aspirated you'll want to get her on clavamox drops to avoid pneumonia.

The peeing and pooping sound healthy. Keep up the nice job and keep us posted. Perhaps she will be strong enough to go back to a mama cat soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help, but with deep regrets and all the sobbing I'm doing right now, I'm so sorry to tell you that my poor little Minnie didn't make it. She died in my hands just minutes ago. I miss her so much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
QuinnsMama QuinnsMama

Oh my! I'm so sorry! Such a shock! [emoji]128546[/emoji]

What was happening with her since you last posted? Do you mind sharing?

Last edited:

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was refusing more, if possible, to eat. I think trying to feed her actually might have made it worse-- I read, perhaps too late, to never try feeding a kitten who is going through various of the fading kitten syndromes she was going through.

She wouldn't eat. Her little body was so weak, she could barely hold her head or legs up. Her breathing was shallow. She just lied perfectly still, whether it was where I put her in her carrier or where I put her cuddled up against my chest. She cried out every once in a while, and god I hope it wasn't in pain. She coughed up some formula, so I had gotten some into her lungs accidentally. She made these few last hoarse little meows with all she had left. From what I've read, I think she might have been gasping for air when she died. And then she just... left.

Her little body was held in my hands for a while. Because she was so tiny, death's stages took over pretty quickly and she was already stiff by the time I put her back into her carrier, where she is resting now with her little stuffed bunny...

The carrier is on the foot of my bed. I don't have the heart to move it yet. Funerary arrangements will be made tomorrow, I'm sure.

God, she died with her little metallicy blue eyes open. I'm so sorry, Minnie. Mama loves you so much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry. You did the best that you could for her. She certainly knew she was loved and cared for. You comforted her in her last moments. She's over the rainbow bridge now where she can run free! Thank you for being her guardian angel! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. All I can hope is that she's happy now, not in any pain, knows how much I love her, and that I can do better by the next baby that comes into my life, hopefully under better circumstances than Minnie.

I'll see her again when the day comes that I can cross over Rainbow Bridge with her. Again, thank you so much.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Please don't beat yourself up, you took excellent care of her and she knew she was loved by you.

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I sure hope she knew. Tomorrow I'm going to bury her.

Seeing as it is kitten season, I already have new fosters. If it weren't so urgent (my shelter, the only no kill shelter in the county, took them from kill shelters), I don't think I'd be ready so soon. I hope Minnie doesn't mind.

Actually, I have two litters right now, five in each. Ten kittens is way too much for me to handle all by myself, but the other foster hasn't responded to calls yet. In one litter, which I'm not sure I'll keep (when the other foster comes around I'll let her decide which litter she wants), there is a little black kitten. The runt. Minnie was the runt of her litter. And runts just don't have very good chances, do they? But I am hopeful, as my dad's cat was the runt of her litter and she's 7 or 8 years old right now! It can happen, and that's what I've gotta focus on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear that you are moving on and continuing to foster! That's the spirit as the need is so great. Thank you! We are here for you.

QuinnsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you [emoji]10084[/emoji] I'm already very attached to all ten of them. Especially the black little runt. Something tells me that when they're all grown up and ready to be adopted, I'll be keeping him. He's a sweet, lovey little mama's boy already and he makes me feel a lot better.

I bought a few things for Minnie's grave last night. She's wrapped in a blanket and in a box now. I will bury her after I'm finished feeding. One litter down, one to go.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What are you using now? Evaporated milk is for emergencies only as it does not contain the nutrients kittens need. Kitten formula is best. Can you get kitten milk replacer?