Orphan kitten - help required

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing very well with this little one.
What State are you in?

From your photo, he looks to be closer to 4 weeks than 3 and it's great that he's mostly able to use the litter tray. I agree with what the others have told you about the diahorrea. First, a visit to the vet with a sample of the kittens stool (they may give you antibiotics if they suspect an infection). If the vet doesn't find any cause, a teaspoon of canned pumpkin, morning and night may just do the trick.

Keep up with bottle feeding until you are sure he's getting enough calories and fluids on his own.

It's fine to give him a bath if he needs it. Gently 'scrub' him with a dryer-warmed towel and then use a hair-dryer set on low.

basklcj13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After reading the thread I think the best advice you have gotten is that they are a lot tougher than they look.
With my bottle babies I had a little bit of a tough time on the weaning and litter training, but eventually all three took to it just fine.
Sometimes when I would help them with elimination you couldn't see the urine because it was a little to clear, and blended right into the damp cotton. Sometimes I would rub once and pull the cotton ball away and watch for some drips or a stream...try that.
Good luck and congratulations on taking the time to raise this baby! I have so many fond memories of mine (I got one of them the day he was born, his mother abandoned him and then abandoned his brother and sister two days later).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great advice everyone

I told the vet about the diarrhea, se said its quite normal as he is just getting used to coming off his mothers milk.
Luckily he did a solid poo today so i think we are safe.

And yes, I live in Australia

I clean his bottom when he does a poo, but he keeps himself very clean and really hasn' t made a milk or food mess at all which is great.

He should be ok on his own for 5-6 hours when Im not here, someone will be checking on him apart from those few hours in the day.
I keep him enclosed with all his toys, food and litter tray so if he is eating well on his own in 2 weeks time, it should be ok.

In the last couple of days he has become very playful - even pouncing in his own clumsy way.
its very cute

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm back with another question/problem

The last day or so, the kitten has been very agressive with it's playfulness with me.
Usually he'd just grab my hand with his paws and sometimes lick it, but now he is completely extending his claws and ripping into me in a very agressive way.
He also does this sometimes when being fed from the bottle.
It's almost like he isn't playing anymore.
It hurts like hell but most of all I'm wondering why he has turned this way. He was very gentle previously.

I also can't get him to drink from the bowl still, he won't touch it.
Any tips?

Thanks people.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's playing with you like a sibling, instead of his momma. Next time he does you like that, growl like a cat (deep growl from the throat-with your mouth and lips closed-, and change tones a little, up and down-practice somewhere he can't hear you
). When you get it right, he will probably either look around for the other cat or scatter and look for the other cat.
If he doesn't let go, make him while growling. Eventually, he will learn it is "Momma" letting him know of her displeasure at being treated this way. It worked with the litter of 3 I bottle-raised, and the spoiled rotten 6 yr old bottle baby I have now- and still works if she needs it,(she's the queen of the "attack the feet from under the bed" brigade
) but usually I can just look at her and/or scold her and she lets go-she respects me now (in this anyways!
) Growling worked with all my kittens, whether I bottle fed them or not.

And buy toys, lots of toys, so he can play with you, but not your hand-just be careful with toys on strings, etc.,and don't let him have them unsupervised. My cats really enjoyed wiffer golf balls and small, furry mice-Smoochie's favorite (my BB) was a 1 inch fake fur "mouse"-just the fabric-with a long leather shoelace tail! Now she steals rolled up kneehighs (I got her some blue and red ones so it didn't look like I left my kneehighs all over the house!
)

Oh, I forgot the water! With mine, I put the water in a flat saucer, instead of a bowl-that way they didn't get as much water up their noses while they were learning. It's also not as much water to clean up when they step on it and spill it
! Also, you can try either putting formula flavored water-like 1 part formula, 3 parts water, or putting his formula on the plate, and as he learns, water it down.

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, Im putting the formula on a plate now. He sniffs it but doesn't really touch it.
I need this fella to be self feeding by the end of next week!

I was wary of string toys, I figured there's a chance he could choke himself if Im not around.

Thanks for the tips on getting him not to attack me. I will definitely try the growling thing.. haha
Let's see if it works