Orijen food recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It is high in protein (cats need protein) and not full of useless grains and I like the other ingredients - that's a winner in my books. My vet, however, has warned me to keep an eye on Bijou as she says a food that high in protein can cause other problems, particularly in neutered males, and I have to admit I cannot remember what she said as I wasn't there - our daughter had taken Bijou to his vet appointment so I'd have to ask her.
I second Yosemite, and add the following to the quality of the food - not only Orijen is grain free and high protein, but it is also made of 75% of high quality, grain-fed, human-grade meat. The carbs come from steam veggies and fruits, and to top it all off, Orijen is cooked on low temperature, preserving all the nutrients, omega 3 and 6, etc...
As far as ingredients and preparation, it is really quite hard to beat Orijen...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I had to go back and re-read each post and I don't think I'm missing any point at all. In every post the blame is being put on Champion, not the irradiation company and not the government. The only people who are holding the government and irradiation companies partially responsible are those of us that are not in Australia. So no, I have not missed anything.

And FWIW, there is a better chance of successfully suing a company than the government in any country IMO.
Yosemite, again, I am 100% with you on this...
See, here is the problem: This issue is specific for cats - no other pets were affected by this irradiation, including dogs who were fed Orijen food, that received the same amount of irradiation. The dog food was taken from the market because cats were eating from it, and a couple got sick.
The reason why the Orijen food needed to go through irradiation, is the high protein level, coupled with the low temperature cooking.
With that said, only a hand full of brands imported to Australia are irradiated, and if I am not mistaken, NONE of the previous irradiated foods had been for cats. Which means........ There was no way for Orijen to fully research the treatment safety before the problem surfaced, when there was no data about it. If Orijen asked the government, who was again, applying the treatment, and was told that it was safe, how were they supposed to know? They do not have the same equipment that the government has...
That is why I truly believe it was the responsibility of the government to know and apply the correct level of irradiation to the food, since THEY were the ones doing so. Any treatment to food should be tested before being made available by the government.
I might be completely stupid, but I just do not get the fact that Orijen is being blamed and bashed for this issue.
And sorry, but yes - IMO it is easier to sue a company than the government.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wrote to champion pet food asking what they do with the recalled food... i had no answer.
Does anybody knows?
thanks

perseus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

There was no way for Orijen to fully research the treatment safety before the problem surfaced, when there was no data about it. If Orijen asked the government, who was again, applying the treatment, and was told that it was safe, how were they supposed to know? They do not have the same equipment that the government has...
That is why I truly believe it was the responsibility of the government to know and apply the correct level of irradiation to the food, since THEY were the ones doing so. Any treatment to food should be tested before being made available by the government.
I might be completely stupid, but I just do not get the fact that Orijen is being blamed and bashed for this issue.
And sorry, but yes - IMO it is easier to sue a company than the government.
This is not correct. There are hundreds of scientific studies particular to animal feeds since the 1950's all over the Internet about the adverse effects of irradiation. Results have included subchronic and chronic changes in metabolism, histopathology and function of most systems, reproductive effects, growth, etc. for short term effects. Long term effect studies are still lacking. There was ample information available to Champion to review prior to making their decision to allow their food to be irradiated.

Champion was not told the irradiation was safe. Rather, they were told to test their own foods prior to releasing it on the market. They signed export and import documents attesting to this, but they did not test the food at their own choice.

Yes, they have the same ability in testing equipment as the government does. When Champion was notified of the problems with their food and the symptoms it was causing cats in Australia, they had their food tested in a laboratory that indicated the vitamin A depletion and free radical formation caused the neurological and physical harm to the cats. All pet food companies have access to laboratories to test their foods for any number of reasons.

No one is bashing Champion, they admittedly made a "mistake" and that is contained in their own press releases. Stating the facts is not bashing.

Laws pertaining to negligence revert to the care, custody and control of the products at the time the damages are sustained. At all times the Orijen products were within the care, custody and control of Champion PetFoods. It is not a matter of who is easier to sue.

I am not on this forum to start arguments, but rather to inform others. I have done my research and have followed this closely for many months. I welcome any debate from others that have done the same.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maxymia

You can't quote me on this one, but I remember hearing something like it will be cleared up in a few months. Something like this was said by one of the reps (Clark OR Michelle) on Itchmo forums before they disappeared. I was led to believe that they said they would fix the problem but do nothing about all the food already produced and on shelves. Again not putting animals best interest at heart. It is stated on their website that Orijen contains no preservatives. Champion went quiet on this issue as well.
This is something that really bothers me, about the potential BHA/BHT that (if it's true) they aren't more forthcoming with the facts. Put it up on their web site at least, but I would like them to put stickers on the bags of food too. I read the ingredients list carefully on any food I buy for my cats, and I'm not happy to think I may have been feeding them something and thinking I'm giving them a healthy food, when in reality BHA/BHT would be a deal breaker for me.

Fortunately, Orijen was only a small part of their diet (mixed with California Natural), and I've discovered they both absolutely love TOTW (also much easier to get locally than orijen) - so I hope I don't find out anything bad about that product!

Status
Not open for further replies.