Origen Vs Royal Canin For Maine

youdontknowme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, my maine is close to 2 years old now weighs at 6 kg.

his current diet daily :
half canned of "wellness grainfree CORE 156g"
1/4cup of "origen cat and kitten"

planning to try switching the origen to "royal canin mainecoon" due to good review about the soft and shiny coat and the kibble shape size thats good for the teeth. what do you guys think??

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that the food he's on now is fine; wellness and orijen are some of the very best brands. The royal canin Maine Coon food isn't grain-free, and it contains by-products.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way I judge cat food is based on the ingredients list. You want to pick foods that have meat as the first several ingredients (since the ingredients are ordered in terms of largest contribution to smallest contribution) and limit the amount of corn, rice, and grains that cats have no need for.

Here are the first several ingredients in Orijen's Cat and Kitten: Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, yellowtail flounder, whole eggs, whole atlantic mackerel, chicken liver, turkey liver, whole atlantic herring, chicken heart, turkey heart, dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, dehydrated mackerel, dehydrated chicken liver, dehydrated turkey liver, whole green peas, whole navy beans, red lentils, chicken necks, chicken kidney, chicken fat, pinto beans

The first 15 ingredients are all animal protein, which is excellent.

Here are the first several ingredients in Royal Canin Maine Coon: Chicken by-product meal, brown rice, chicken fat, corn, corn gluten meal, wheat gluten, natural flavors, pea fiber, brewers rice, rice hulls, dried plain beet pulp, vegetable oil, fish oil, psyllium seed husk, sodium silico aluminate, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, L-lysine, fructooligosaccharides, salt, taurine, hydrolyzed yeast, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement

As you can see, the first ingredient is not even regular meat but by-product meal. The next biggest component of the food is brown rice. After the chicken fat, you have corn, more corn, wheat, peas, and rice.

I would definitely stick with the Orijen.