oriental shorthair

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Actually if you read on the background of the Siamese, you'd find that in "Siam" there were 2 different types of siamese all along. The temple cat siamese were the leaner more refined type (similar to the show type) and the "street" siamese were like Kotton - heavier boned.

When the Europeons went there, they picked up and took home the street type of siamese that was more available (you had to be special to get a temple siamese). So the "traditional" type was the standard in 1800/early 1900's. That is where you get the more rounded body, heavier boned and rounder head siamese you see in early cat shows or in early pictures.

When the more refined siamese came out of China, then the show siamese started to change.

Personally I'd like a little of both - a more slender body but with a little more traditional head - not too extreme on either.
FASCINATING! Where did you look to find this info out? I would LOVE to read more on this!

Panther appears to be a cross between the 2 types. He is MOSTLY the oriental shorthair but his ears are too short and nose is not roman enough. Of course to ME he is perfect!

Missy sits behind HER boys as they check out the mean dog next door

You can see here that Ben is Chunky but Panther is quite lean!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I"m not sure where I got it. Was either out of a Siamese book or from Siamese breeders who were explaining the different types. I found it fastinating too and realize why there are two types.

You may try searching the web for History of Siamese Cat or something like that.

It makes sense if you think about it. How could you get the leaner body from the "street" siamese? There had to be another style.

The original cornish rex was a little heavier and taller then today's rexes in the rings - due to the influence of the smaller/leaner siamese there were used when the rex came to America. I think the Europeon and Australian rexes are a little bigger then the American - tho that will change as more breeders use American rex in their lines.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
think the Europeon and Australian rexes are a little bigger then the American - tho that will change as more breeders use American rex in their lines.

I know that the Europeon DOGS are bigger than the Americans. I had A Standard Poodle and he was a throw back to the original German type with a HEAvY body.

I just wish a cat show would come into Stanislaus County - near me. I would love to go and see all the cats and compare.