Oriental Longhairs

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Developing a new cat breed has been a dream of mine for a while, but I don't currently have the resources, money, or space to pursue the hobby . Nevertheless I want to develop connections breeders so I can get advice or more.
So I was wondering if someone here would be able to get me in touch with a Oriental Longhair [the main foundation for the new breed I've in mind], breeder whose willing to serve as a mentor figure, and perhaps lend a few cats when I can finally get started on the project?
Thank you :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
May I ask, what development do you wish to do, starting with the Oriental Longhair (Javanese?) as base?

Being a breeder of a new breed, takes its resources... Lotsa of resources, as you probably cant even sell for full price the results...
I mean, even normal breeders must count its a costly hobby, perhaps even without visible netto... Although they can sell their kittens and adult cats for a good price.
You probably having not allowed mixes, wont be able to sell them for full price..

So, what is your plan to get the resources?
I mean, no serious breeder will be willing to lend you their cats, and probably, no serious mentor will wish to put in time and effort to a wanna be whom has barely started on the long journey...

ps.
WHAT had you done so far, to be into the field?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I wrote up a breed standard here *note that the name is a work in progress and not final*:
But basically I wanted to create a rather graceful, ballerina-ish cat with the wild appearance of egyptian cats, combined with the modern dilute colors, and the new caramel, golden, amber, and carnelian genes going around.
Hahah I've no plans to jump right in. First I want to get used to breeding cats and understand how their genetics work, so I'm just going to start with an already established breed.
What have I done so far?
Well, I've been to a cat show and made contacts/got advice with some of the breeders to start with. There's one lady who breeds OLH looking for someone to continue her work. I'm considering taking the oppertunity. It'd be a good stepping stone, and a chance to get familiar with OLH.
My plan is essentially to save money, and perhaps go to veterinary school [so I can give my cats the proper vetinary care without the expenses]. One of my brothers is also willing to teach me how to build I guess you could call them, small outdoor houses, or cattios, to keep my studs in. Finally I would like to get a bigger house.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Taking over a cattery may be your easiest choice... So you will prob also get her network and probably get her as your mentor... After all, she will want a continuation, also she will want her children to have a good life.

As long you are inside the breed, you can breed for some changes other than the official standard. You must of course use breeding stock from the establishent, possibly aösp from allowed mixed out.
You wont win prizes in the shows, but you will be allowed to participate.

But once you begin with mixing out with other breeding stock, be it other breeds or nice moggies, you are alone on your own, and also, your own purebreds will now have a shadow of bad reputation on them.
Sometimes you may perhaps get an allowance for a mix out, but dont count on this beforehand.

A tip for an inexperienced wanna be starter.
Cooperate with some good shelter, and be their fosterer of high pregs...
This way you will get some experience of high pregs, delivery, kitten care, nursing moms, perhaps also hand raising... For you its invaluable experience, and for these poor souls - its literally life savings... A win-win.
An additional point is, the shelter will help you with vet costs / contact with their vet... A vet whom you perhaps may continue to have contact with?
Also, a well run shelter usually helps with food and litter for the cats...
So your costs will be much much lover than having an own cat, and yet you will get rich experiences...

The ONLY against is, you must make sure when you are done with the programme, you clean off the whole area, so there will be no risk nor even suspiciton there are any germs left.
With breeders, its as with Ceasars wife: its not allowed with even a shade of suspiction on her good reputation...

Wegiesrule

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Been to a cat show"....then the next logical step is to focus on your education. I suggest finance or software for the highest earning potential, flexible hours, and lowest debt. Becoming a veterinarian....if you are in the top 2% of your undergraduate class you have a good chance of being admitted.

After you have finished schooling and own a home, then start showing cats. Getting a really good cat for your first cat will be unlikely, but after breeders see you have granded a few cats, then set aside about $20,000 to show a cat to a National Win (top 25 out of about 700 or 800).
Then you are ready to be mentored by a breeder and collaborate with them. All of the breeders I've worked with keep their studs indoors. Buy cats from lines who do not spray.
And it helps to have someone else living in your home to take care of the other cats when you show your campaigning cat.