Organix canned cat food

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I was driving home from Petco after taking advantage of the 10 for $10 Nutro Natural Choice canned food deal.  I decided to stop by my local Metropolitan Market (It's like Trader Joe's but a little less exotic) to see what kind of cat food they have because I figured they might have some interesting brands.

I saw the usual brands like Fancy Feast, Friskies, Avoderm, and Purina.  It started getting a little more exotic with Wellness and Newman's Own.  But something caught my eye...Organix Canned cat food.

After going through everything, I found this food to be interesting.  First, it doesn't have any carrageenan and gums of any kind.  Secondly, all their ingredients are organic.  However, it does contain quite a bit of organic veggies like carrots and peas.  But wouldn't you rather have this in your food then carrageenan and gums?  The food is USDA Organic (if that means anything to anybody).

In the guarenteed analysis, the protein to fat % is decent with 9.5% protein (min) and 5% fat (min) with the rest of the %'s looking normal.  I'm not going to post the ingredients and analysis and let all of you look it up yourself because I want to save space in this post.

BUT, keep in mind that the pate recipes are the only ones that don't have carrageenan and gums, the rest of the recipes do.

So I decided to grab 4 3oz cans of Organix pate (2 chicken and 2 turkey) for $1.79 each (WA State US dollars - high min wage, if that matters in this case) to see how Shanoah would like it.  That price is pretty decent compared to other exotic brands with some of those said brands having carrageenan and/or gums.  Not to mention their 5.5 oz can was at $1.99.  Petco doesn't carry it but at any other pet store it's probably cheaper because Metro Market does tend to get expensive.  -I see Pet Smart online has it for $1.27 per 3oz can.

Has anybody ever tried or heard of this food?  If so, what do you think of it?

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't recall anything to dislike about that outfit. I have bought a few cans in the past and my current two used to enjoy their crunchy treats until they got tired of them more recently. Main thing stopping me so far has been my only local source is Whole Foods I think, where it isn't well priced. Plus I got very specialized in my can search looking for 5.5 or 6 oz cans that were just around the right calories to split between the two small cats for one meal. (Even with that requirement and no carrageenan there are several choices.) The C&P were too high in calories for that, more like 200 when I am looking for 150. Calorie-wise then I guess you get your money's worth even at a bit higher price.

FWIW I agree I'd rather see carrots than carrageenan. I haven't been as picky about the gums yet but have steered clear of carrageenan for the last year or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felineempathy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't recall anything to dislike about that outfit. I have bought a few cans in the past and my current two used to enjoy their crunchy treats until they got tired of them more recently. Main thing stopping me so far has been my only local source is Whole Foods I think, where it isn't well priced. Plus I got very specialized in my can search looking for 5.5 or 6 oz cans that were just around the right calories to split between the two small cats for one meal. (Even with that requirement and no carrageenan there are several choices.) The C&P were too high in calories for that, more like 200 when I am looking for 150. Calorie-wise then I guess you get your money's worth even at a bit higher price.

FWIW I agree I'd rather see carrots than carrageenan. I haven't been as picky about the gums yet but have steered clear of carrageenan for the last year or so.
Thanks for the feedback!  Yeah I think there's plenty of other places that'll have it for cheaper, I just need to find them.  I'm not picky about gums either but it's just interesting to see a food that doesn't have either carrageenan and gums...it's like the time I found Nature's Variety.  If my cat likes the cans I bought then I'll definitely try to find more at a cheaper price.