Organic fruits and veges

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

However, in the perma-frost, it's off to Whole Paycheck...i mean...Foods. Whole FOODS.
Do you have a decent-sized freezer? Or is the difference in price in winter enough to warrant the purchase of one? Lots of fruits and vegetables can be frozen when they're in season, and others, like potatoes and onions, can be stored in a cellar for months. I haven't gotten into "canning" stuff, though we "juice" and bottle tomatoes.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Do you have a decent-sized freezer? Or is the difference in price in winter enough to warrant the purchase of one? Lots of fruits and vegetables can be frozen when they're in season, and others, like potatoes and onions, can be stored in a cellar for months. I haven't gotten into "canning" stuff, though we "juice" and bottle tomatoes.
I have a small freezer, too bad it's not a functional one! I freeze herbs and use a cooler on my porch to freeze things in weather like this as well. I haven't been that excited about the results when using frozen veggies, however. But these are store-bought ones

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I have a small freezer, too bad it's not a functional one! I freeze herbs and use a cooler on my porch to freeze things in weather like this as well. I haven't been that excited about the results when using frozen veggies, however. But these are store-bought ones
You really need a decent, functional freezer to get good results, but it's usually only worthwhile if you're preparing meals for two or more people every day. Some day! Do you have a list of "seasonal veggies" for your area?