Orange puke

SassyCatDomain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat is around 12-14 years old. She had a lit of puking issues with indigestion and just liquid. So we set her on senior indigestion and made sure to keep the food down all the time because she puled if it wasn’t.. It went well fir a while but she is puking again.. sometimes the puke comes out an orange color and Im not sure if its because of the food or.. she still barfs but not as frequently as she did every meal last time. Wet food helps her and shes never barfed when on it.. But she needs something to keep her teeth clean which is why I provide hard food. (She doesnt do toothpaste)
.. any suggestions to what I should do?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wet food helps her and shes never barfed when on it.. But she needs something to keep her teeth clean which is why I provide hard food.
I suggest you stick to just wet food. It's a myth that dry food helps keep a cat's teeth clean. They don't have molars the way humans do, they don't chew the dry food, they just swallow it whole. That's why when they throw up the kibble comes back up intact. Dry food is actually much worse for their teeth than wet because it is higher in carbs.

Stick to just wet food and try getting her a chew toy designed to clean her teeth. If she'll eat them chicken gizzards are supposed to be really good for keeping tartar build-up off their teeth too. You need to cook them. If you Google Chicken Gizzards for Cats you'll find plenty of advice on how to do this

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan : feed just the wet food that doesn't make your cat barf. The dry food help clean teeth so you won't be losing a thing.

It's possible that she has a sensitivity to something in the dry food, which wouldn't be surprising given that most dry foods have fillers, many of which aren't ingredients that are a natural part of a cat's diet.