Orange Female Cat?

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Red females aren't particularly rare. Like someone said earlier, you simply need for both parents to pass on the gene for red, which is why there tends to be more red males than females (males only need for one parent to be red). A lot seems to depend on local gene pools - if there are lots of red cats in an area then red females will be quite common. A work colleague of mine has 2 red females, and an ex colleague has recently got one red female kitten. As to the shorthair/longhair thing - I don't believe the gene for longhair has anything to do with the gene for red hair? Jaffa is a short haired red tabby, for the record (and the 3 female cats mentioned above are all short haired).
Males only need one parent to carry the "orange" gene. Said parent can be tortoiseshell, calico, or orange.

To the questions in here about hair length...The orange gene is linked to the X chromosome (XX female XY male), it is not linked to hair length or texture. Those are inherited separately from parents--hence cats with different hair length come in different colors. That is why we have orange Persians/Curls/etc. All they need is one or two copies of the gene, depending upon their gender.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat Scruffy is a orange (red tabby) domestic shorthair female. She also had a litter of kittens (this was before I knew all about pet overpopulation).

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The red and white male pictured is NOT a true Turkish Van - those are longhair cats and only have color on the head and tail. He's just a nice looking red tabby and white - not a van at all. Don't know why you think he is.
You will have noticed that we gently questioned the male's coloration, but we must differ with your statement that TV's only have color on the head and tail. They may have 15% of the body in the contrasting color, excluding the head and tail. Granted, Liza's male at least pushes the envelope, and he is perhaps outside the envelope. The TV is generally referred to as "semi-long haired," and indeed the length of the hair can vary widely with the seasons.

If any of our dear readers are interested in learning more about this marvelous breed they might take a look at the CFA's Breed Profile, here, http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/turkish-van.html, and the CFA's Breed Standard, here, http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/standards/turkish-van.html. (Sorry, we were unable to get the link generator to work, probably our bad).

If you take a look at the two slide shows in our siggy you will see a couple of examples of how the permissible coloration balance of TV's can vary. Samwise has the classic TV coloration, with contrast appearing only on the tail and a couple of spots on the head. Molly, his half-sister, has much more contrast, but well within the breed standard.

Both Samwise and Molly are CFA Grand Champions, and Samwise is also a CFA Grand Premier. We are very proud of both of them.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The red and white male pictured is NOT a true Turkish Van - those are longhair cats and only have color on the head and tail. He's just a nice looking red tabby and white - not a van at all. Don't know why you think he is.
cause mom and dad were.

goldcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it is 20% female.
I have one!! Love her. Rescued randomly but I don't think any animal arriving into your life is random. I hope she brings me luck like a lot of gold. Lots of hard life struggles over jobs lately.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how rare they are, but I've only known two. My grandmother used to have an orange Persian, and my stepsister has an orange and white DSH.