Orange Cats

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Antares would be a great name.  It is also the Scorpion Star though.  What about Jaffa for orange?  They are also called Shamouti, that sounds pretty exotic.  He's lovely.  Whatever you name him it will be better than our big, fluffy orange cat's name.  OH asked me if his colour would be blonde.  I said, yes, sort of strawberry blonde.  Who knew he would be another one of the strays who would end up staying with us?  Blondie.  Not a very masculine name but he didn't mind.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Antares would be a great name.  It is also the Scorpion Star though.  What about Jaffa for orange?  They are also called Shamouti, that sounds pretty exotic.  He's lovely.  Whatever you name him it will be better than our big, fluffy orange cat's name.  OH asked me if his colour would be blonde.  I said, yes, sort of strawberry blonde.  Who knew he would be another one of the strays who would end up staying with us?  Blondie.  Not a very masculine name but he didn't mind.
Shamouti sounds like a real possibility, thanks. Do you know what that means and in what language? I have not been able to determine that, only that it is a particular orange grown in the Middle East. Yes, I know that Antares is in the constellation Scorpio but I have never heard it as being referred to as the Scorpion Star. 

Last edited:

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@segelkatt  Other than it's place in the Orange Archipelago in the game of Pokemon all I could find is an alternate spelling of Chamouti.  Both names, Jaffa and Shamouti (or Chamouti) originate in Palestine as far as I could find out but I could not find any meaning.  Jaffa is a place in Palestine, I thought maybe Sh or Chamouti was, or had been, too, but could find nothing on it.  It does seem to be in use as a given human name.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@segelkatt  Other than it's place in the Orange Archipelago in the game of Pokemon all I could find is an alternate spelling of Chamouti.  Both names, Jaffa and Shamouti (or Chamouti) originate in Palestine as far as I could find out but I could not find any meaning.  Jaffa is a place in Palestine, I thought maybe Sh or Chamouti was, or had been, too, but could find nothing on it.  It does seem to be in use as a given human name.
I have a friend in the Kingdom of Jordan, he tells me that the name Chamouti is just a name and has no meaning that he knows of, probably just the name of the family that first grew those oranges in Palestine and where their name came from is now lost in history. But thanks for giving me a hint regarding the name. There are also several people on Facebook whose name is Chamouti.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did finally name my new red cat Chamouti because he is not only a sweet cat but is all "orange", so it's very fitting being named after the name of an orange. I had also considered Rum Tum Tugger from the musical "Cats", but after watching that again decided against that as the Rum Tum Tugger is huge brawling Maine Coon who is always "on the wrong side of every door" and can never be pleased, and my huge red cat is very sweet and happy with just about everything and gets along with the other cats just fine. I looked up his color and it is called Cameo Classic Tabby because he is so pale with pink leather on his nose and paws and his stripes are barely visible.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Paleness, Chamouti, his color is described as Cameo Classic Tabby because he shows off his stripes only on his face and very faintly on his paws. After a thorough brushing and combing, getting all of the tangles and knots out, he shows the classic Maine Coon distribution of his fur: a huge ruff, very long hair on his midsection, shorter on the legs, shoulders and across his hips, a big plume of a tail, tufts in his ears and between his toes. Before the good grooming he looked as if he had long hair all over like a Persian, now it shows the real long hair is on his mid-section, ruff and tail only. He purrs and purrs but I have yet to hear his voice. What a cuddle-bug, just what I hoped he would be.

gingeravocato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bridget it a 13-year old ginger like myself (err--I'm slightly older) but she acts like she's five.  She's hopelessly spoiled, obnoxiously affectionate, and I wouldn't change a dang thing about her.

halp. i no want to play the bad-mitten.

Did not move for 45 minutes. I've tried sleeping like this and had to call the chiropractor.

Pile Cat taking care of mommy post-foot surgery. 

Um... you're doing it wrong.  Pet Pillow, $40.  Boise paper box lid from dumpster, free. 

I tell ya.