Options For Uncontrolled Hyperthyroidism

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got another t4 test for hyperthyroidism. He should have tested below 40 and he is at 58, so he is hyperthyroid. He was allergic to tapazole so I tried him on hyperthyroid food for two months but he ate a little of the other cat's food so the vet said that may be why he tested high.I think it is more likely that the food isn't working because I have heard it usually isn't enough to control hyperthyroidism. Today was the first day he only ate only a few tablespoons of food.
My cat has been sick with this since 2016 and it is quite possible he has heart disease. Can't afford heart test. I don't know what to do. He was well controlled for 6 months on medicine but was allergic. Vet says maybe try him on lower dose of tapazole but agrees that he is chronically ill. Not much other options. I'm debating whether I should get him put to sleep now. So hard to know what to do.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What are the names of your cats?

I do not agree with your vet. If a cat is allergic to tapazole, he must take none of it. Have you had any discussions with the vet about trying a different medication?

He needs to get off the prescription diet because it is obviously not helping him. The other cat's food does not make HT worse in by itself. What foods exactly have they been eating the last two years?

Where did the heart disease possibility come from? I never heard of HT causing HD.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your guy is going through this! Is there a different medication they can use or is this the only one? If so then a lower dose, and maybe a different food for him to try?

He may be chronically ill, and it may be that you cant fix him, but maybe the meds and a different food, and try to make sure he does not eat anything else, might help for a bit? Is he still enjoying life, or does he seem like its time? I dont know but they say you can tell. When they no longer have any good days, or find joy, that you will know. Often the vet is a good one to ask, what he thinks?

I dont have experience with hyperthyroidism in cats, but i have read some at this link.

Feline Hyperthyroidism:

I will keep you guys in my thoughts. And do let us know how it is going with him.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you have the option of giving your cat methimazole via ear cream?
My girl is controlled with this and it's not expensive either, plus the benefit of not having to pill her :)
As for the heart disease caused by hyper-t, it causes high blood pressure not heart disease. Although uncontrolled causes all organs to be working extra hard.

Also, what was the dosage he was on of tapazole and what was the allergic reaction?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I do not agree with your vet. If a cat is allergic to tapazole, he must take none of it. Have you had any discussions with the vet about trying a different medication?

He needs to get off the prescription diet because it is obviously not helping him. The other cat's food does not make HT worse in by itself. What foods exactly have they been eating the last two years?

Where did the heart disease possibility come from? I never heard of HT causing HD.
My cats names are Timmy and Morris.There are no other medications available where I live.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hyperthyroidism is a condition that speeds up the metabolic rate of all organs eventually wearing them out. My sick cat has been on a higher fibre diet, dry and wet food - Royal Canin.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why don't you have the option of giving your cat methimazole via ear cream?
My girl is controlled with this and it's not expensive either, plus the benefit of not having to pill her :)
As for the heart disease caused by hyper-t, it causes high blood pressure not heart disease. Although uncontrolled causes all organs to be working extra hard.

Also, what was the dosage he was on of tapazole and what was the allergic reaction?
Hyperthyroidism can cause cardiomyopathy in cats. 2.5 mg twice daily. Dose was too high, when retested he was hypo. Allergic reaction was lots of scratching, a lick granuola on his thigh from licking it so much, and bleeding raw skin near the ear from scratching alot.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your guy is going through this! Is there a different medication they can use or is this the only one? If so then a lower dose, and maybe a different food for him to try?

He may be chronically ill, and it may be that you cant fix him, but maybe the meds and a different food, and try to make sure he does not eat anything else, might help for a bit? Is he still enjoying life, or does he seem like its time? I dont know but they say you can tell. When they no longer have any good days, or find joy, that you will know. Often the vet is a good one to ask, what he thinks?

I dont have experience with hyperthyroidism in cats, but i have read some at this link.

Feline Hyperthyroidism:

I will keep you guys in my thoughts. And do let us know how it is going with him.
Thanks so much for giving me some guidelines by which to decide when "it's that time". Wasn't sure how to decide this and I keep going back and forth - for or against. Don't know of any other med. that's available here.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hyperthyroidism can cause cardiomyopathy in cats. 2.5 mg twice daily. Dose was too high, when retested he was hypo. Allergic reaction was lots of scratching, a lick granuola on his thigh from licking it so much, and bleeding raw skin near the ear from scratching alot.
Vet suggested lower dose liquid form but will ask him about ear gel form. Thanks. Did you cat experience ANY side effects on this drug ?

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet suggested lower dose liquid form but will ask him about ear gel form. Thanks. Did you cat experience ANY side effects on this drug ?
Oops, sorry -Meaning to ask catwoman707 this question

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I don’t understand! Was your cat allergic to the Tapazole or was he getting too much? Or is it causing liver problems?

My cat Surfeit was hyperthyroid. He was getting Tapazole but we had to stop because it was damaging his liver. He got radioactive iodine and that cured him. Another option is to remove part of the thyroid gland, but that’s tricky surgery and isn’t done much as far as I know. The diet is the least effective, especially if he has access to regular cat food.

Is radioactive iodine not an option for you? That would destroy some thyroid tissue, same as removing part of the thyroid surgically, but it’s just an injection.

Best of luck with your cat, whatever you decide.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
When I had a hyerhyroid cat, the vet who diagnosed her did not even say there are other options. He was convinced if a cat is eligible for the I-131 injection there is no reason not to do it. I understand many people are not close to a qualifying hospital, but if you are, it is worth every penny.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Vet suggested lower dose liquid form but will ask him about ear gel form. Thanks. Did you cat experience ANY side effects on this drug ?"

The only side effect she has ever had in the years (2) she has been on it was the initial dose was too high, causing her to sleep far too much and not have an interest in food. I chose to lower it myself and told the vet I did so, she agreed.
I adjusted it according to how she acted, as high a dose as possible before she lost her appetite and was sleeping constantly.
It worked perfectly, took her in 3 months later and she was right on target for where the vet wanted her levels to be.

An online pharmacy can ship it to you, your vet will need to provide them a prescription for it, they will contact the vet.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I don’t understand! Was your cat allergic to the Tapazole or was he getting too much? Or is it causing liver problems?

My cat Surfeit was hyperthyroid. He was getting Tapazole but we had to stop because it was damaging his liver. He got radioactive iodine and that cured him. Another option is to remove part of the thyroid gland, but that’s tricky surgery and isn’t done much as far as I know. The diet is the least effective, especially if he has access to regular cat food.

Is radioactive iodine not an option for you? That would destroy some thyroid tissue, same as removing part of the thyroid surgically, but it’s just an injection.

Best of luck with your cat, whatever you decide.
Radioactive iodine is extremely expensive ! I was told it would cost about ten thousand dollars including the hospital stay time. I would do it though, if I could. I don't have anything to sell worth ten thousand. My cat is very likely allergic to the medicine. I wouldn't get surgery done. I researched it.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Vet suggested lower dose liquid form but will ask him about ear gel form. Thanks. Did you cat experience ANY side effects on this drug ?"

The only side effect she has ever had in the years (2) she has been on it was the initial dose was too high, causing her to sleep far too much and not have an interest in food. I chose to lower it myself and told the vet I did so, she agreed.
I adjusted it according to how she acted, as high a dose as possible before she lost her appetite and was sleeping constantly.
It worked perfectly, took her in 3 months later and she was right on target for where the vet wanted her levels to be.

An online pharmacy can ship it to you, your vet will need to provide them a prescription for it, they will contact the vet.
Thanks for this info.

snowyowl1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had a hyerhyroid cat, the vet who diagnosed her did not even say there are other options. He was convinced if a cat is eligible for the I-131 injection there is no reason not to do it. I understand many people are not close to a qualifying hospital, but if you are, it is worth every penny.
Thanks Daisy. The reason I can't do it is because of the cost. I couldn't even borrow that kind of money !

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Radioactive iodine is extremely expensive ! I was told it would cost about ten thousand dollars including the hospital stay time. I would do it though, if I could. I don't have anything to sell worth ten thousand. My cat is very likely allergic to the medicine. I wouldn't get surgery done. I researched it.
Not even close. When I had a hyperthyroid cat the vet said it would cost $2000 but was able to get a lower price somewhere else. The week of hospitalization was not too expensive and I know the total cost was under $4000. That was in Ohio so the price could be higher in another state.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Daisy. The reason I can't do it is because of the cost. I couldn't even borrow that kind of money !
Yes, it is expensive, and I honestly have no idea how I paid for it. Hopefully your cat will be fine with a much cheaper treatment plan.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is also a diet option. It would be a very low iodine diet. The idea is to give the cat enough iodine to make some thyroid hormone, but not so much that it makes excess thyroid hormone. The problem is that it’s not that effective, I’m sure it’s expensive, and you can’t let the cat eat anything elsen; so if there are other cats in the household, the hyperthyroid cat can’t eat their food (and they probably should not eat his).