Opportunity knocked, need advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would be a short list really.
We are currently financially floundering, living, but only living.
The only pro to staying here is the proximity to his mother.
Cost of living is nearly equal, slightly cheaper in Toledo.

I know he doesn't particularly want to move away from his mom, but it is only a 14 hour drive away.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Thanks! I know I will if we go for it.
Bare basics I learned in 4-H, but I know there is a LOT more to it than feed, water, exercise and grooming.
I haven't a clue on hoof care or saddling (I've only ever ridden bareback, or on rentals that were saddled for me), no idea on warning signs for health issues.

I know mom wants QH or Am. Saddlebred, I'm more partial to Morgans myself as far as all around utility, of course I love dressage and I think the Saddlebred would be better suited.

I did jokingly tell her to make sure they were harness broke, that way she could at least drive the horses into town if she needed to since she doesn't drive cars any more.
Hoofcare is every four to six week trim depending on the horse. shoes arent usually need..oh well there is alot more lol. But dont worry I am usually awake for help *tehehe*

Dressage, well if you really wanted to get fancy they have Fresian crosses that are really doing well in Dressage, I havent seen to many Saddle breds in that ring, they are usually in English events, Country, Pleasure, and Park. mostly in park because of their HUGE stride. Dressage ring is mostly warmbloods right now. and some Arabians are cleaning up pretty good too hehe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually seen Spanish Barbs in the dressage ring, my only thought was that they were way too small

I would think the Barb would be better at cutting and reining, or really any Western style.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the money you'd be saving not having mortgage payments, y'all could save up and fly his mom to you every 6 months or how ever often he wants!

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

With the money you'd be saving not having mortgage payments, y'all could save up and fly his mom to you every 6 months or how ever often he wants!
Absolutely!!!!

If your husband can transfer his job, I would be jumping at the opportunity. Wow......