Opinions on SSScat deterrent?

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now that my new kitten Iroh has learned that he can jump up on the stove to get the kitchen counters (eek!) he does it ALL THE TIME. I've tried the spray bottle, pennies in a can, double-sided tape, and washing the counters with a soap he doesn't like the smell of and nothing seems to work. This morning I found him back up there in the kitchen sink. =_=

Earlier I heard someone say something about a motion-detected auto spray deterrent they use for their cats. I looked on the Petsmart store website and they carry something called SSScat that has very good customer reviews. Apparently you can set the range of the motion detector and if the cat moves within range it lets out a very loud hiss and sprays compressed air that scares off the cat. (Watched some YouTube videos of it too, you get some funny reactions from the cats, lol.)

Has anyone here used it themselves? Does it really work? At this point I'm willing to pay the $35 to keep Iroh from eating something he shouldn't or getting burned on the stove.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the sssscat works good. I use it all the time. I have a window over my sink that looks into the next room. That is the room my cats are in. (To keep the rest of the house fur free, somewhat). We had to put a screen in the window to keep the cats from jumping through. Well I set it on the sill, and it has stopped Fetty from jumping up and climbing the screen and this am, his sister, Bubble tried it. She won't again! She got sssscatted.
Its harmless, and is a very good training tool. I don't know about setting a distance. Maybe mine is older. But mine works from about 6-7 feet away. I know, because I have been ssssscatted
I forget it's on, and go back to see the kitties and wham! Just be forewarned!
p.s .try not to set it off too often yourself so the cats do not get used to it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, it works well! It kept my naughty kitties off the table. Does scat have the option to set it to just sound and not air? We've used a couple, and the ones that allow air and beep or just the beep are best, because the cat associates the beep sound it makes with the hissing air, so once they've got the idea, you can turn the air off, and just the beep sound is enough to keep them off without wasting more air.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beans_etc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if the one I'm looking at beeps or not: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751025

I read through the customer reviews and some people remark on how they use the beep and other people say that the product description is wrong and the one they bought doesn't have it. o_O No idea. It sounds like it would definitely be convenient if it did have the alarm too though.

I've heard a lot of people say they accidentally set it off themselves and waste the air a lot -- if it has an on/off switch I think I'd just turn it on when I'm not in the kitchen and then switch it off when I go to cook dinner. I'll just have to get in the habit of remembering to turn it off and on each time.