Opinions on Purina ONE?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Hmm, I'm at my mom's house and all she has is Friskies shredded and Natural Balance salmon (all her cats will eat) so I have to wait to get home to read the cans of Friskies "pate" and 9 Lives. I wonder if the tuna 9 Lives is different from the "pate" kind?

Wait, I found the 9 Lives website---it does say 1 can twice a day for a 6-8 pound cat for the loaf food. Huh. Do you think that means it's lower in calories than Friskies? Or just fewer nutrients in general?
I noticed much lower in fat .. ie my grocery store without chemicals and artificial stuff and low grain is 5% fat .. the 9 lives is 2 % fat.. which in dry matter would be something like 20% vs 8%

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Thanks....the By Nature looks OK, but has about the same percentages as Chicken Soup so I don't see any benefit. TOTW is about $35 for 15 pounds....a little out of the budget, theough I could probably swing it if I had to. To tell the truth, I'm not convinced that "grain-free" foods are worth it. I just don't see much of a difference between grains and potatoes
. I suppose I'll stick with the Chicken Soup for now, without mixing....but I do want to look into a higher protein food.

Although, just as an arguing point, my cats did do very well on Purina ONE when I used to feed it to them (before I knew better). Nice fur, not fat, good stools, etc. So it can't be ALL bad. Maybe on the low end, but not terrible.
You may want to check around...here TOTW is $22.99 for the 15lb bag and very similar everywhere it is sold. $35 is way high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat

You may want to check around...here TOTW is $22.99 for the 15lb bag and very similar everywhere it is sold. $35 is way high.
I may be mistaken. I'll price it next time I'm at the feed store (they're very reasonably priced in general). I'm still not sold on the thought that potatoes are better than grains....and I'm worried about the boys' urinary health. But maybe if it's mixed with the Chicken Soup it'll balance out.