Opinions on cat's scar from spaying (photo included)

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 She looks happy! What beautiful markings she has
.  I freaked out because Maia did a crazy jump on her 6th day, when I looked at her stitch area it was bulging out a little...............When I took her to the vet the next day, they said it's just scar tissue. I was soooo relieved!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hehe thanks ^_^ She is a pretty little cat...if I may say so myself haha.

I saw a bump on her scar yesterday but it's looking sooo much better that I'm sure it's just scar tissue as well.

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the UK that looks huge!  Here a flank spay is normal and the vets I've used have all put in subcutaneous dissolving stiches into an incision that's 1/2" long or less.  Antibiotics afterwards is very unusual as well, for a planned spay of a healthy cat.

Last edited:

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh I just spoke to the vet, apparently the external stitches need to be taken out.

The problem is - the vet is REALLY far and I don't have a car, and I'm going to the beach for a week this Saturday and Lucia is going on vacation to my friend nearby. I'm asking local vets how much this procedure will cost but I think it will be expensive (and negate going all the way out of the city to the cheaper vet haha). I don't think I am able to go to her vet before I leave because my friend has to take me and she works late and has other plans for her evenings. I've also heard of skin growing over the stitches and causing infections if they're left too long.

Damn. Didn't think of this :/

Do you think the cat will remove them herself if I leave them? I've read about people removing the stitches themselves. How do I know when it's time to remove them and is it that complicated doing it yourself? If I got a friend to come help me.

I'm watching some videos on youtube...it doesn't look too difficult but then they're on dolls and people and not squirming cats who are wondering what the f*** you're doing to them...I think she only has three...am I seriously contemplating this?!

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine was in a similar situation with yours. She talked to the vet and he explained how she should take the stitches out. She did it herself, alone, and all went well.

Of course I strongly advice to talk with a vet first. They will tell you/show you what you need to know.

From my experience, the stitches should be removed 10-14 days after the surgery, so it is time.

As much as I think people should take their cats to vets for such issues, given your circumstances, I think it is better to do it yourself than to let the stitches there. Of course, I am NOT a vet nor do I pretend to have medical knowledge. It is just something that I would do.

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been 17 days so it DEFINITELY needs to be done as soon as possible :/

I have contacted my local vets but they generally don't open until 11 (now). I hope they get back to me soon.

I just watched this video, no way will my cat behave as well as this dog. But I'm seeing a friend tonight and he's strong so he can hold her still whilst I do it. You need to loosen the loop on one side, snip, and pull the side with the knot to pull the stitch through, right? 

She is not going to be happy haha.

Ahh I'd rather local vets tell me it doesn't cost a billion dollars and then I can just take her there tonight.

But if anyone has links or advice on how to take stitches out yourself...please let me know! It might be my only option.

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
going to a local vet in a few minutes to remove her stitches ;) at least I hope he says they're ready...most of it is more or less healed but there's still a small scab at the end (the part between her two nipples you can see in the photo)

no home kitty surgery for me, thank god

and Lucia is glad she won't be the victim of youtube medical school

I paid $300 for her surgery, it's going to be $400 to get the stitches removed!! But the vet we're going to now would have charged $2000 for the surgery, so it still works out cheaper.