Opinions of different flea parasiticides, please!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ashley doesn't get fleas very often (she is indoors unless we go out with her), but when she had them this Spring (not bad), I used what I had left of Frontline. I LOVE Frontline.....I am in awe how such a little bit of stuff in the fur can kill a body of fleas.

Well...Ash has them again. It isn't bad...I have caught them before they have gotten out of control, but I really didn't have the money for Frontline and mother had a whole thing (6 applications) of Revolution. I have never used this stuff (never heard of it, either), but it told me to pretty much apply it like I did with the Frontline.

So...here is my question. Is Revolution the same thing, pretty much, as Frontline? I have read more about it being a preventitive, but will it also do the trick on current fleas? Is one better than the other?

Just thought I would ask some opinions since I am not familiar with this stuff.

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Revolution takes care of a few more things than frontline ... My vet recommends revolution

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Revolution firstly, is prescription only, and reccomended by veterinarians. [[The also reccomend Advantage and Frontline too
]] Anyways, here is what revolution does:

Revolution is used To Prevent Heartworm Disease. Revolution Kills Adult Fleas And Prevents Flea Eggs From Hatching. Revolution Controls and Treats Ear Mite Infestation. Revolution Treats And Controls Sarcoptic Mange and The American Dog Tick. Revolution is also used on cats to treat roundworm And hookworm.

dazeemazeegraze

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

Ashley doesn't get fleas very often (she is indoors unless we go out with her), but when she had them this Spring (not bad), I used what I had left of Frontline. I LOVE Frontline.....I am in awe how such a little bit of stuff in the fur can kill a body of fleas.

Well...Ash has them again. It isn't bad...I have caught them before they have gotten out of control, but I really didn't have the money for Frontline and mother had a whole thing (6 applications) of Revolution. I have never used this stuff (never heard of it, either), but it told me to pretty much apply it like I did with the Frontline.

So...here is my question. Is Revolution the same thing, pretty much, as Frontline? I have read more about it being a preventitive, but will it also do the trick on current fleas? Is one better than the other?

Thanks
As long as you have the correct package/dose for your cat, it should be ok.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love Revolution it does sooo much more.. But it isn't prescription only.. I order mine online all the time and don't need a prescription..

siamese_jen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

I love Revolution it does sooo much more.. But it isn't prescription only.. I order mine online all the time and don't need a prescription..
We sell it over the counter. It's a product you can only buy in vets. Revolution is a really fantastic product. Gilbert is on that cos he is alergic to advocate.
poor Gilbert

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting. We do it by prescription only. Particularly because it can be a heartworm preventative, and if you give it to an animal that hasn't been tested for heart worm and it has it, it can cause problems. *shrug* Maybe we're just weird.

I really like revolution, honestly, Advantage and Frontline are just as nice, and if you wanted to target strictly fleas I'd totally go for advantage. But revolution is really a nice broad spectrum parasiticide.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

Thanks
YOu need to be sure it is for cats and not for dogs and the correct dosage for the weight of your cat. I would ask the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It is for cats (has the box with it) up to Ash's weight. Ash does NOT have heartworms.

kareemsbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used an over the counter flea medication and my cat had a vey bad allergic reaction. I took the product (can't remember the name of it) and told the vet about it. He looked at me like I was stupid and asked "Haven't you ever heard of Advantage?", and threw the stuff right in to his garbage can. I felt like an idiot because it was the first time that my kitty had gotten fleas and I thought that I was doing what was best for him. The people at the pet store told me that it worked like the stuff that the vet prescribes....but never once mentioned side effects. Oh and...it never killed the fleas either. Needless to say, the vet prescribed me Advantage, and I never knew that a product would be so great. Cleared the fles up in a matter of days, and Kareem didn't even realize anyhting had been applied to his skin.

Kareemsbuddy

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is fine, as good and as safe as Frontline.

Vets sell Advantage, Revolution, and Frontline by prescription only but it is available without a prescription at some pet specialty stores. The reason vets sell it by prescription only because if they sell things OTC they have to add a different category to their taxes so it's kind of a pain in the butt for accounting purposes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very wary of buying over-the-counter medication at pet stores. Often the people working there are not very knowledgeable - it's a part-time student or "a job" to some. I experienced a woman asking for worm medication for her dog at one pet store and the young woman just went looking for something, pulled it off the shelf and sold it to the woman. Neither one had any idea what the heck they were doing.

I'd prefer to trust my vet who IS knowledgeable (and I'm not sure about the tax thing but personally think there is probably a lot more to it than that) to give me the correct dosage for age/weight of my cat than to trust someone who really has no real knowledge giving me advice.

My cats are very important and precious to me and I cannot imagine risking their health to a less than professional person. But that's just me!

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Revolution is a prescription medication, and it works Great!!!
My vet prescribed it for Buddy. He had a very bad case of fleas when we got him from the shelter at 4 months old. He was flea free in 24hours. You put in between his shoulder blades 1 time per month, and it treats other stuff besides fleas. It is safe for kittens. Safer than any over the counter stuff.
You can always ask your vet over the phone if you are still unsure. My Vet claims that it is better than frontline and advantage, and averages in cost between $55-$60 for a 3 month supply. That of course is one vets opinion, different opinions will vary I'm sure, but thats what my vet claims, he sells all 3 brands, but recomends revolution for bad case's of fleas.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For where I get my relvolution at for a 3 months supply it is $24.95 and a 6 month supply is: $46.95 you can't beat that price!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MRod1

Revolution is a prescription medication, and it works Great!!!
My vet prescribed it for Buddy. He had a very bad case of fleas when we got him from the shelter at 4 months old. He was flea free in 24hours. You put in between his shoulder blades 1 time per month, and it treats other stuff besides fleas. It is safe for kittens. Safer than any over the counter stuff.
You can always ask your vet over the phone if you are still unsure. My Vet claims that it is better than frontline and advantage, and averages in cost between $55-$60 for a 3 month supply. That of course is one vets opinion, different opinions will vary I'm sure, but thats what my vet claims, he sells all 3 brands, but recomends revolution for bad case's of fleas.
Although we've never had fleas with Bijou and Mika (knock on wood), we got their Advantage prescription from the vet and apply every month. Naturally, they both get different amounts considering Bijou is 16 lbs. now and Mika is 9. I'm assuming that since we didn't actually have fleas and are just using this as a preventative that is why we were given Advantage by our vet rather than the Revolution.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Advantage really is a good product. Don't get me wrong. Revolution is just more broad spectrum. Advantage is strictly for fleas. And a really good product when it comes to getting rid of them. If your cats were having chronic ear issues, or something along those lines your vet would probably prescribe Revolution instead. That's why we put my kitty on Revolution to start with, and now I just like it because it worked really well for him, and it covers more bases. However I think it's like vaccines in horses, alot of people choose individual vaccines over the 3-way and 5-ways because there's more of the "vaccine" in individual bottles, vs. the multiple ones. So if you think about it Advantage being strictly flea, probably kills fleas better, or at a different rate than revolution because revolution kills several different things.

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

For where I get my relvolution at for a 3 months supply it is $24.95 and a 6 month supply is: $46.95 you can't beat that price!
Where do you get your supply from??? My vet charges almost $55 for a 3 month supply.

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Thats 1/2 the price of what I paid, Now I feel like a sucker
, I just bought it last month from the vet. Well now I know where to purchase this stuff, Thanks!!