Opinion On Cats Choosing To Die

Barry'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I am going through a very difficult situation now with my cat who has quit eating after an enema for constipation. He has no health issues that they are able to find and the opinion is his stomach is very upset from the constipation and the traumas of 4 vet visits in 4 days and being under anesthesia 2 days in a row. This got me thinking about when a cat stops eating, do they know that they will die? I understand my cat doesn't feel like eating, I can barely eat myself from the stress (but I force myself since I know the risks of no food), but do you think they understand their life will end if they don't eat? I'm sure no one can know for sure, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard any good theories.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. I vote give him time to de-stress & see if things can help him. At the end of the day putting your friend down because he can't go #2 sounds silly, but I get it. We had to put an elderly disabled cat who had a 'megacolon' & severe constipation for years getting worse the last year. They have a health forum here where maybe more people with experience can weigh in? That disabled cat I mentioned I had to express for 2 years (squeeze to pee) and give her a daily enema the superiority for 6 months... after she got hit by a car.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's worry over your cat that brought you here. :sigh:

I know constipation, though not an actual heath issue, does seriously affect a cat's quality of life. How old is your cat? Has he been having constipation problems for a while?

I'm not sure if cats know when they're dying, but I'm sure they do know when they're not feeling well. Hopefully your boy will get his appetite back soon.

Here's a TCS article that might have some helpful ideas for you.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats often quit eating right before passing away, so do people. The organs are shutting down and don't signal hunger. He has no hunger pains, or it is too painful for him to eat, so he doesn't. I would try tempting him with whatever gets him to eat... bacon, fast food hamburger patties, chicken nuggets, Gerber's baby food in turkey, kitten replacement milk, etc. There is canned milk, and extra calorie nutrition in a tube on Amazon that have lots of calories, etc. you might try them.
There might be more going on then any one knows. It is horrible to watch them waste away, just make sure he is hydrated and loved. Please keep posting if you need someone to talk to, we'll do all we can....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barry'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone - this board has helped more than you know. He was never constipated before, and I took him in the day he stopped eating and he was incredibly constipated, but had still been having daily stools. He had started not finishing his food tho and that must have been because he was filling up. The only reason I was thinking he might have to be put down is because of the not eating, I know how fast a cat can fade. As far as I know, he has not ate one thing since all this started, but I heard him eat a whole 5 pieces of kibble in the middle of the night and maybe some wet, so this is the first he has eaten that I know of, hopefully it's not too late. He did seem restless, kept getting up and going to a different spot on the bed, going to litter box, etc. of course then he got petted every time he came back to bed and cuddled haha, but maybe it's a good sign?

Barry'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention he is 6 years old with no health issues other than overgrooming. Nothing else is showing up on the xrays after the enema and his blood panel was still good as of yesterday. he was treated with anti-nausea, a steroid and pain meds. But this means he has not eaten since Friday. He was given fluids after the enema (1am Sunday morning) and the next day. My regular vet was none to happy to find out they put him under anesthesia 2 days in a row at the ER

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention it but if he doesn't start eating/drinking you will get a chicken/egg issue with constipation. If he doesn't start I would take him to the vet and ask the Dr. To show you how to give him daily saline infusions in his scruff to keep him hydrated and if need be anti nausea medication. I have done this to cats before and it is easy to do. If the vet says yes I would ask for pre-loaded syringes of saline (preferably with a small needle.) the scruff has less sensation so it hurts less. Keeping him hydrated for a week might make a difference.

I have MS that as a fun side effect I have constant queasiness .... think morning sickness that lasts a decade My point is when I'm super queasy I don't want to eat or drink. Anti-nausea medication makes a big difference.

I hope he recovers.

Barry'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did ask if I should do those injections, and he asked me if I had the stuff for it and I said no, but I could get it - wouldn't I get it from the vet? I am going to talk to him tomorrow because I don't want to go back to that ER. He has been eating a little more, I am just concerned that he may not be drinking. I have seen him go to the water bowl and not drink. He is still peeing, but that could still be from the fluid injections and the little bit of wet he has eaten. I am going to ask about anti-nausea pills. Hate to give him pills since he gets so traumatized, but it will better than having to go to the vet or getting complications :(

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell broth powder (onion & garlic free) for cats at pet stores or on Chewy. I would try as an emergency giving him tuna juice that was packed in water because it at least gets him drinking today? Our vet gave us the needles & saline bags but she is amazing. I mentioned syringes so they would be easier to clean/handle/store. You can offer to pay for them.

Also every pet store (most grocery stores and Target) sells Fancy Feast Broths. They are not nutritional diet replacers. I feed it to my boys for their wet food dinner once or twice a week. They make chicken ones. I just use a fork and break up the meat really fine so my boys will eat it. Again in your case even just licking up the broth is a win. Later you can try watering down the broth.

Fancy Feast Classic Broths with Chicken & Vegetables Supplemental Cat Food Pouches, 1.4-oz, case of 16
The Honest Kitchen Beef Bone Broth with Turmeric Liquid Treats for Dogs & Cats, 5-oz jar
Fruitables Chicken Broth Bowls Cat Food Topper, 16.9 carton

Barry'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I put the Fruitables broth on some of his dry kibble and he liked it. Shortly after that I saw him drinking actual water :hyper::hyper::hyper:
Today he has been under the bed quite a bit - he probably only feels comfortable sleeping there since he has had so many trips to the vet :( he seems pretty tired (I know I am)< but right now he is laying on my lap and seems pretty awake :)

Barry'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure! Here he is resting.

He just drank some more water and has eaten a 1/4 cup of his sensitive stomach kibble and about 1/2 small can of wet so far today, so he is doing a lot better!

Attachments

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm glad your kitty is on the mend and doing better.
My girl has dry stools and tends to run constipated. I started giving her Royal Canin Hairball formula dry food and it's been a miracle for her. To give it an extra boost I open a psyllium husk capsule and sprinkle it over the top. She poops every day now.
I've also hard the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food is a lifesaver but you need a prescription for it. Comes in dry and canned.