Oops, Kittens

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StephanieS

I apologize for my previous post, I guess I just felt a little ganged up on. I have decided to get pet health insurance. I found an article about it and I'm going to research it tonight. I did read about one that covers the cost of spaying and neutering. So that will also help me a lot. Plus it will reduce the cost of shots and vaccinations. For momma and the kittens. So after I get it I won't have to worry about the dollar signs as much.
If I was one of those you thought were going against your beliefs, I am truly sorry. I hate the idea of abortion just as much as you, but sometimes it is just the way to go. No one wanted to make the decision for you and we were only giving you our opinions. Don't let it get to you. Just remember, the only opinion that matters is yours.

Getting pet insurance is an extreamly good idea, since it is pretty obvious you are not changing your mind about aborting the litter. That will most likely help you out tons in the long run.

I wish you the best with the kittens, and don't forget to show us pictures when the time comes.

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's some helpful information in the midwifery area for anyone who needs it.

Caring for Newborns & the Queen

How to Feed Kittens

Feeding Your Kitten

Cat Pregnancy Report
This one has a class you can take for $7 and the last lesson is on "how to help your cat give birth without endangering the kitten's life." Plus there's a money back gurantee.

Cat Hotel
This site has a lot of helpful information for how to get a kitten to breathe if the queen doesn't do her part to stimulate the kitten to breathe on it's own.

Jennifer

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I must say that I've gotten a lot of wonderful advice from this forum and I appreciate every bit of it. I do get frustrated when I see that people are made to feel terrible for something that happened once, as an accident (it happens sometimes...). I myself have come here and had on many of my posts someone telling me to get my Mushy cat and her kittens altered, which I fully intend to do. I wish that we could all support the people who come here, even if their cats have gotten pregnant by the fault of the owner. A friendly reminder to have the cat and kittens spayed would be wonderful, but a lecture is disheartening and may lead to someone who wants to do the right thing, to do the wrong thing (i.e. farm their cat, not know what to do during birth, etc...). It's kind of like lecturing a teenager on how not to get pregnant and why it is not a good idea, when they already are. Support them and prevent it.

I mean this all with the greatest of intentions

Good luck with the pregnancy of your little girl. I'm sorry I don't have much great advice to add because I only have ever had one litter

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andrea727

I must say that I've gotten a lot of wonderful advice from this forum and I appreciate every bit of it. I do get frustrated when I see that people are made to feel terrible for something that happened once, as an accident (it happens sometimes...). I myself have come here and had on many of my posts someone telling me to get my Mushy cat and her kittens altered, which I fully intend to do. I wish that we could all support the people who come here, even if their cats have gotten pregnant by the fault of the owner. A friendly reminder to have the cat and kittens spayed would be wonderful, but a lecture is disheartening and may lead to someone who wants to do the right thing, to do the wrong thing (i.e. farm their cat, not know what to do during birth, etc...). It's kind of like lecturing a teenager on how not to get pregnant and why it is not a good idea, when they already are. Support them and prevent it.

Good luck with the pregnancy of your little girl. I'm sorry I don't have much great advice to add because I only have ever had one litter
I agree a friendly reminder is great, but once that reminder has been made it doesn't need to be made again by anyone else. I've actually seen this happen a lot in many other posts on this site. It is very discouraging to someone seeking help.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stephanie, good luck with this litter. Please, please have all the kittens sterilized before they leave your care, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a wonderful insurance plan that will cover the costs of spaying and neutering, vaccinations, and boosters for the kittens. And I get a multiple pet discount for adding my dog onto the policy. For both of the animals it will only cost about fifty five dollars a month.
Thank you for your support, even if you don't neccesarily agree.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Let us know how the insurance plan works out. I have heard good and bad about them. Good luck with the kittens.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of us are against you in any way - we just wanted to make sure you had considered all the angles - after all, we didn't know you very well. But you obviously have it all figured out. There is so much information here on cat pregnancy and birth, as well as raising kittens, and so many knowledgeable people, that I am sure you will find it useful and friendly. Do try and post some pictures when you can.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are looking into the insurance thing to help you out. Sounds like a wise plan

And remember, its required to post pictures of mom/babies every so often

Can you post pictures of mom now?

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andrea727

I totally agree with you. IMO, there should be a disclaimer in this forum or a warning that says that if you have a cat having kittens (other than if it is a rescue that you have taken in) that you will be looked down on as an outcast by the majority of the members TCS. Afterall, you "let" the cat get pregnant, right? You are contributing to the overpopulation problem. You can get plenty of advice here, be it wanted or unwanted, but you will be an outcast. I've seen too many people leave TCS because of this.

stephanies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Glad you are looking into the insurance thing to help you out. Sounds like a wise plan

And remember, its required to post pictures of mom/babies every so often

Can you post pictures of mom now?
I wish I could, but at this time I don't have a digital camera. The LCD screen was broken about a onth ago. My sister has one though and I'll get some pictures soon. Right now I'm not sure about her, now she is acting like she is going into heat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welll maybe she isn't pregnant after all. I'd make a appointment with the vet and find out for sure. If she isn't pregnant now, then she can be spayed and everything will be over

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree a friendly reminder is great, but once that reminder has been made it doesn't need to be made again by anyone else. I've actually seen this happen a lot in many other posts on this site. It is very discouraging to someone seeking help.
I think a lot of us are very passionate, and we see so many backyard breeders,(in our city and people we know) who will let their cat go into labor for hours and hours, and just “hope” for the best, because they can’t afford it. And lots of people buy cats without having the money saved to spay, soooo many people are not thinking ahead, and it is frustrating, and sad there are so many back yard breeders. And so many abandoned cats because they were only cute kittens for 4 months. In my city people are abandoning their cats because all the homes are so expensive, and so many of them are No pets aloud. So they just abandon it because they cannot buy a house, or find a place that allows it. and they can't find people who will take in adult cats. I have seen so many adds of people wanting someone to foster their cat until they can get a home that will let them have their cat back. its was on the news too, the people are trying to tell landlords to start letting people have cats. its a big issue in our city right now. And these cats breed and breed, there are so many kittens already born, and have no homes. and I think that is why people are pro abortion here. Just trying to prevent so many sadness. Like I said people here are passionate about cats and it hurts them.

Another thing is if mom abandons them and you have to care for them with out the help of a vet they will more then likely going to die. A cats normal body temp is 104 so if we hold the kittens to our neck we can still not give them enough heat to keep them warm enough, and once they get cold enough they stop feeding and die. its one thing raising kittens who have lots of fur and they eyes are open, its another when they are new born. I personal do not have a problem with aborting them when they are still only dividing cells. But watching them die, is a different story. selling them to God knows who, its very hard for me. I can’t do it.

And people are not saying “hay stop it your not as good as me” that’s a joke, a first time mom could be just as good as a regular breeder. after all we all were new to it too, but well have have a sad story we can share with you. doesn't mean its going to happen to you, but if it happend to all of us, well it is likely it will happen to you too. However people are just trying to say by planning to have kittens, they know both mom and dad are healthy, and they have the funds/connections already made to give the kittens all they need, #1 being shorts, unlike a Back yard breeder who will just raise them until they are 8 weeks and leave the cost for the new owner, who will more then likely not do anything. So I think people are not trying to be rude, but trying to warn them of a few of the problems, I can think of many that have not been listed, but we are not listing them all, only trying to point out what being a good mother is vs. being a bad one.

We just want to teach how to be a good breeder, so there are more good breeders and less backyard breeder and less cat problems. No one can say “you can’t have kittens” some people feel its their right to have kittens, just like some people feel it is their right to have children. Even if it wasn’t a truly good choice. We can’t help those people, but we can help people who come here. Maybe a lot of us here have to learn more ways of approaching the people in a better way. i know I can always do better. I am also passionate and all my posts tend to be very long. lol so sorry

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish I could, but at this time I don't have a digital camera. The LCD screen was broken about a onth ago. My sister has one though and I'll get some pictures soon. Right now I'm not sure about her, now she is acting like she is going into heat.
I am actually hoping she isn't pregnant. It would be so great if you could get her spayed and prevent adding to the overpopulation.

If she is pregnant, I can tell you will do your best for the kittens and make sure they get good homes for life.

If she ends up not pregnant and you find yourself sad at the prospect of not having kittens around, please think about becoming a foster for a local rescue or humane society.

Bnwalker has three litters of foster babies now! also Fostermomm has some absolutely darling babies.

We all love cats and kittens here, but most of us have also spent time working for shelters or rescues and it is heartbreaking the number of cats that are euthanized or dumped on the streets because there just are not enough homes.

I diasagree with TiffanyL about being an outcast for letting your cat get pregnant. Accidents do happen and you will be strongly encouraged to make sure that it doesn't happen again. I think the only time people get "looked down upon" is when they then refuse to be responsible for all the lives they are bringing into the world. You obviously don't fall into this category.

Best of luck to you and your girl. If she does end up being pregnant there is lots of advice here and there are even mentors to help take you through the whole process.

If she isn't pregnant there is still lots to learn and many wonderful people. I hope you decide to stick around.

stephanies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She did go into heat, and I was very relieved. I do not want kittens around right now, but I also couldn't terminate if there were going to be kittens. Sosha is going to get fixed next Friday.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She did go into heat, and I was very relieved. I do not want kittens around right now, but I also couldn't terminate if there were going to be kittens. Sosha is going to get fixed next Friday.
This is wonderful
Please let us know how her spay goes.