Oops is missing her Uncle Pikachu

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost our beloved Pikachu last October. To the kittens, he was Uncle Pika and Oops especially adored him. She would trill at him, and roll on her back beguiling him into gentle play. She cuddled with him. When he was very ill, all the kittens were sensitive to him and kept watch but she was the one who was most concerned. And when he died at home, she sniffed his body and then ran to the bedroom where she stayed alone all day.

We had Pika cremated and put his ashes in his pretty box on the shelf in our bedroom where all our departed friends are memorialized. On top of it I put his collar and the little soft ball he loved to play with. (pic taken before the collar and ball were added)

A few weeks ago, my husband mentioned that he had twice found the collar and ball knocked down onto the desk below. We figured it was Rocky who is silly and adventurous. But then he saw Oops sitting on her little haunches like a rabbit reaching up there one day. Within a couple more days, the ball was gone.

I found it when I was cleaning the living room the other day. It's in the cat bed in the living room and I frequently see Oops sleeping in there, with the ball between her paws. She doesn't really play with it - just cuddles it in sleep. Maybe I'm athropomorphizing, maybe she just likes soft balls, but I think she smells Pikachu on it and it comforts her to sleep with it. 

It's beautiful.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It makes perfect sense that Oops would find comfort in her Uncle Pika's old ball. Whatever the reason, it's very sweet.

I like the way you've set up your memorial
shelf. Everyone is still with you.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
That's sweet.

It also makes perfect sense that she might still smell him and take comfort from it. Even years after we lost our Cotton, his sister Freay used to go curl up next to his urn when she was feeling unwell or stressed. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very sweet :heart2:

My boys missed their Uncle Lucky after he died in November. They didn't have anything tangible that they could have of him though. They weren't even 6 months when he died, so not sure they really remember anymore. I hope they do, but just not sure. But Oscar in particular missed him, poor guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oopsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's sweet.

It also makes perfect sense that she might still smell him and take comfort from it. Even years after we lost our Cotton, his sister Freay used to go curl up next to his urn when she was feeling unwell or stressed. 
Awww, so precious! They really are so sensitive.