Oooooold Family pix ---

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amitya

this is my great great grandfather General Sherman ....<snip>
You're kidding! Really? The guy who burned Atlanta? Do you have documentation tracing your genealogy?? That's totally intriguing!

BTW Me-N-My-Guys, yep, that's who the Sherman tank was named for

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah its all very well documented-- hes my paternal grandmothers grandfather. we have the family tree at my aunts house as she is the genealogist (sp) of the family. I dont know much about him other than what little my grandmother remembered and told me before she passed. I was little when she passed so i dont remember much. My aunt has some old diaries and letters of Gen Shermans in safe deposit box. I do know that his son, my great grandfather was the product of an affair and was not born to Gen Sherman's wife at the time.

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's fascinating! Please keep us updated on that.
His picture would make such a wonderful pencil portrait..could you get a good copy done & send it to me? (it would have to show EVERY detail)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amitya

<snip>...My aunt has some old diaries and letters of Gen Shermans in safe deposit box.... <snip>
Whoa! She needs to get those appraised! Man! I wonder what Antique Road Show would have to say about them
?

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i dunno-- she knows they are worth something-- especially since the letters are to his mistress and son. Antique Roadshow wouldnt come anywhere near MS though-- lol we are too redneck and as some people have told me "backwards". People would be bringing their plastic patio furniture for appraisals im sure. LMAO

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No way! I would find the closest one, & go, just out of curiosity.
Have you ever read the diaries & letters? Has anyone, other than your family?

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These pictures are wonderful!!! My parents have some too, somewhere. They wont let me near them though.

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Me-n-my guys

No way! I would find the closest one, & go, just out of curiosity.
Have you ever read the diaries & letters? Has anyone, other than your family?
living in Mississippi-- this isnt something that we flaunt-- -- ive seen but havent read any of the letters or diaries but my aunt is meticulous in keeping records of dates and documentation so i would think that shes had them appraised and insured if they are worth anything-- shes a former insurance upper management person so she gets it honestly. I dont really keep in touch with my aunt-- just see her about once a year for a holiday or something.

ill ask my dad this weekend if he knows more about them.