Onsior for arthritis pain

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone give their arthritic cat Onsior long term with good results?

Also, any experience with Chondroptorotec injections?

thank you

Laura

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old cat with severe arthritis in her lower spine. First we tried steroids which didn't seem to help much and I was starting to question her quality of life since she couldn't jump, couldn't groom herself, and she had trouble walking sometimes. Then I started giving her adequan injections. I know it doesn't work for all cats but the change in my cat was amazing. After the initial loading dose my vet and I had to do some tweaking to find a good maintenance dose but now she gets 0.2 ml subq once a week and she can jump to the top of her cat tree again. She also gets gabapentin every evening and buprenorphine as needed but the adequan has definitely helped the most. She seems to start getting stiff a day or 2 before she's due for her injection. It is expensive but target pharmacy orders it for me and it costs a fraction of what the vet charges for a bottle. I definitely recommend trying it if you have an arthritic kitty.
At one point my vet wanted to add in Onsior to be given every other day since she had some success with it being used long term. Unfortunately we did bloodwork to check her kidney and liver function to make sure she was healthy enough to start it and it showed she had stage 3 kidney disease. Luckily it seems to be under control now that we caught it but if you opt to try Onsior I definitely recommend doing bloodwork before starting it and doing regular rechecks while kitty's taking it.