Online vendor for Glycosaminoglycan injectables?

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not looking for a discussion on the merits, but the last time I managed care for one of my cats with Idiopathic Cystitis/FLUTD,
I used it to great therapeutic effect -
"Ichon" brand.
There are others, often more expensive -
"Adequan", and
"Chondroprotec"
chief among them.

Last time I purchased it years ago, it was available without a prescription via a U.S. supplier.

No longer - it seems it is across the board in the U.S. Rx only.

Now that I have another FLUTD cat, I am looking to purchase it again.
I am only finding sketchy vendors that operate out of Ukraine or the island of Vanuatu. lol

Anyone in the know?
Maybe horse folks here use it often.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any reason you can't just get a prescription from your vet? I am sure if you tell your vet you want to try it for your cat that they would agree to testing it, as it seems relatively safe except for the potential blood coagulation issue. This would be a much better approach than risking what you might get through a 'sketchy vendor', and your cat could be monitored for the blood clotting factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, there's reasons. In all my years, I've had great difficulty co-managing my pets' care with veterinarians. I insist on being an active partner in the decisions made, which ruffles feathers in my experiences all these decades now.
I acknowledge they of course know 100 times more than me, but they don't know everything. Most are hostile to the concept that an owner may have an approach they are not familiar with but has merit. I have published literature, and anecdotals out the wazoo (for glucosaminoglycan therapy to address compromised bladder lining; it also has promise for some arthritis/joint conditions)- but nope, if they didn't learn it in school or if the labeling doesn't bless the idea, I almost always end up being refused.
I realize others have much more cooperative relationships with their vets, or simply accept their treatments plans without question or collaboration. I've had a few receptive but many more stubborn and dismissive.
I always get a diagnosis from vets mind you before I may attempt some health management myself. I used to work as vet asst, work with farm animals, work administering meds to wildlife...I'm comfortable being hands on with my animals when I think it's right.
As I said I've had terrifically successful experience with a former idiopathic cystitis cat, (she hasn't had a flare up in over 2 years as a matter of fact).
In fact, Adequan brand has now started packaging and labeling for Dogs, in addition to their traditional horse product. Cats are always the last to get addressed, seems.

(And no - no way I would purchase medication from such foreign countries - I was just explaining those suppliers exist for this, but seem to be circumventing regulation of several other countries. Further - they may well be fake meds, or diluted. Too dangerous imo.)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most are hostile to the concept that an owner may have an approach they are not familiar with but has merit... I realize others have much more cooperative relationships with their vets, or simply accept their treatments plans without question or collaboration. I've had a few receptive but many more stubborn and dismissive.
That is too unfortunate. I have had the same vet (and his dad before him) that has always been willing and receptive to my ideas. He has even done research on a couple of products I have brought up to better acquaint himself with them, and then provide me with his input.

In fact, Adequan brand has now started packaging and labeling for Dogs, in addition to their traditional horse product. Cats are always the last to get addressed, seems.
Adequan has been brought up on this site before, and I searched to learn more about it at that time. I was pleasantly surprised to find at least a few articles that addressed its use specifically for cats - so that was nice to see!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adequan has been brought up on this site before, and I searched to learn more about it at that time. I was pleasantly surprised to find at least a few articles that addressed its use specifically for cats - so that was nice to see!
Oh yes, I have copies of what there is, I think, in my extensive file on my cat health issues. lol I just mean- feline research that ultimately leads to med manufacturing "labeling" blessing their use for cats, gets the least amount of attention+funding. So some therapies sitting in the barn, so to speak, are often slowest to be included in go-to cat protocols by vets.