Online Colleges

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whichever you choose, brick-and-mortar or online, make sure that they are accredited. I'd personally go with the online extension of a well-known brick and mortar institution.

There are quite a few horror stories floating around about non-accrdited colleges suddenly disappearing, leaving students with tuition debt, un-transferrable credits, and no degree.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I personally wouldn't go through one of those online colleges. A friend of mine is taking classes at one of the well known ones and it just doesn't seem like a regular college to me. From what I have seen from her, IMO, they are after money. They charge an arm and a leg for classes, and I don't trust that the curriculum gives you the knowledge you need. My college offers a few online classes, and WOW they are a lot of work. Much more work than going to class, that's for sure! One warning about the online colleges is that not everyone accepts it as a true degree. I am not sure about other fields, but in the medical field it is a problem.

Ok... I am going to be quiet now and go back to drinking my wine. I have typed this 20 times trying to spell correctly!
Is it really a problem in the medical field? I really thought there were reputable pharmacy programs out there... but perhaps pharmacy is different. There is less "hands-on" to learn than in nursing or x-ray tech stuff... Hmm...

The online program for pharmacy is still six years, though... so methinks it is just as intensive as the regular. They still have to do their sixth year of internships as well, and that can't be done online.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Is it really a problem in the medical field? I really thought there were reputable pharmacy programs out there... but perhaps pharmacy is different. There is less "hands-on" to learn than in nursing or x-ray tech stuff... Hmm...

The online program for pharmacy is still six years, though... so methinks it is just as intensive as the regular. They still have to do their sixth year of internships as well, and that can't be done online.
You just need to do your homework. Make sure that the place you want to intern or work accepts the school you are attending. For example, there is a well known clinic here that doesn't accept students from one of the well known online colleges out there (I don't want to get in any trouble for mentioning any names on a public site).

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Public state institutions are not after your money. Considering that they are non-profits!!! Yes, the people on the board of trustees sometimes are scoundrels, but that's like saying your state government is just out to make money. The budgets are public. Unlike online-only universities, which are businesses first.

I can see the purpose for post-baccalaureate people in a career needing to keep up or if you just want to take a few classes in something, but to go from an associate's to a bachelor's you are far better off in a real school. For one thing, they will be much more likely to work with you and also consider your credits from your associate's through a consortium agreement if you got it at a community college or a regional campus or something.

I know if you ever plan to go on for more school, like an MA or a PhD (do they do that in interior design? I don't know) you would be better served flushing your money down a toilet because then at least you wouldn't be wasting your time too. If all you need is a degree from somewhere in your field, then maybe its not sooo bad. I plan to stay in academia for life and so I know there's no point to me taking them since PhD programs would laugh in my face. Really. I encountered a little of that already with the school I go to now, one program said "well, most of our applicants are from x-ivy-league-school, so you have to consider that in why you were not accepted" (even though I have a 3.9 and was in the 98% of my verbal GRE, I'm not just crazy).

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that Tanya, your sig is HILARIOUS!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am actually doing my homework for my online classes right now!

I am taking classes at the community college near me, & I chose to do some classes online to save on gas. I chose classes to take online & to take on campus. Some I think I will have to do on campus so I stay awake. I don't know how the Lab ones work, but my business ones work well for me. Most of them have links to webpages of study info & quizzes on that info, there are tests & quizzes, reading assignments, homework assignments, and threaded discussions(just like a chat forum).

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Public state institutions are not after your money. Considering that they are non-profits!!! Yes, the people on the board of trustees sometimes are scoundrels, but that's like saying your state government is just out to make money. The budgets are public. Unlike online-only universities, which are businesses first.
I was just wondering if this was aimed at my comment about the schools being after your money? If so, I just wanted to clarify that I was talking about an online only university.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gone to a school online...but I am taking online courses through our local university....and I love it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Some might not be, but those that do not receive as much from the state for funds as say their sister Big 10 or Ivy league school down the road can be. The university I attended kept saying that because certain criteria changed in my program, I would have to take those classes in order to graduate. For example, I was told that I could take any Phys Ed class I wanted to...So I took a 1 CR Tap Dancing class. Before I graduated, the Uni decided to tell me that Tap Dancing doesn't count as the Phys Ed requirement and that I would have to take a lecture class about health that met the state requirement. I called up the State Ed's office and they claimed they have no such requirement, PLUS I found the mistake in their student catalog where they contradicted the information on the Phys Ed. They finally waived and accepted Tap Dancing. That is just one example of many that I had to deal with in order to get my degree. I've obviously learned my lesson and decided to go receive my Masters from an institution that is NOT where I got my BS and is a little better known for not pulling that stuff.

One thing that is going to have to be accepted though is that Online Universitys/Colleges ARE here to stay. They are geered more for those in business than for those in other fields (but not always...mainly those that work insane hours and can't find time for a class at a phsyical institution).
A Computer Programmer that wishes to advance themselves to get out of working 60-80 hour work weeks may not find the brick and mortar institution flexible enough to meet their work schedule. So they turn to online institutions because they can turn in their homework by midnight that night instead of when class begins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm.....well I deffinately got to hear some of your oppinions!

I do have to agree, online schools are here to stay. Why someone would try to get a degree from a non-accredited school is beyond me, unless they don't know any better or are just doing it for fun.

As far as finding a brick and mortar college, out of the question. At least if I want to stay with Interior Design. (which I am not currently workin in btw) The nearest is over 2 hrs away and we're 'stuck' here for now. I've looked into other programs too, and really, I just can't find any that suit me.

All I do know is that my company's fiscal year ends in 10 days and my department numbers are way down. And while there are parts of my job I like, some days I could just pull my hair out. If I'm going to have to get a new job, I would rather it be in something I might enjoy more. And to get into the field I studied, I need more education and some experience (like internship experience).

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure interior design is really what you want to do? If so, I don't think you're going to get out of having to go to a non-online-only school at some point.

My recomendation for you (well, humble opinion at least...) is that you look at a college you may actually end up at a few years down the road and find out some of the prereqs and core classes unrelated to your field that you will have to take as a student there, and take those wherever you can. Most states have systems set up online where you can check the transferability of classes.

Almost anywhere you take a BA will make you get nearly a year of major-unrelated courses. And you can get those out of the way about anywhere while you're in limbo, since most associates degrees don't make you take anything of the sort.

School takes time and patience, and you'll have plenty of both.

Sorry about the bad parts of your job!