Ongoing vomiting??

rlp121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at a loss as to what to do...my 6 yr old female cat has always had a sensitive stomach from the time I adopted her when she was under a year. Ongoing vomiting, soft stools, hairball problem. The hairballs have seemed to lessen a great deal, but about a month ago, she started throwing up a lot. At least once, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Sometimes it was very early in the morning (3 or 4); sometimes right after she ate; sometimes when I was at work. This time it's been more bile-like vs. hairball. In addition, right before T-giving I realized she was constipated. The vet did an x-ray and ended up giving her an enema, although she said she wasn't severely impacted. She also gave her an anti-nausea shot. For the next week she was great - no vomiting. Then it started again, so I brought her in for a full blood work-up which came back totally normal. She's eating normally, isn't hiding or low energy - it's just this chronic vomiting, and less frequent stools. I started her on probiotics and digestive enzymes yesterday and pray that that will help...I should add that I recently got a weekend home about 2 hours from my place in the city and I take her and her brother up there every weekend. She hates the car ride, but once she's there she loves it. I'm wondering, though, if the stress of the car ride has screwed up her stomach. According to the traditional vet, the next step would be a barium x-ray, endoscopy, etc. but my holistic vet who I brought her to last nite doesn't think that's necessary yet. My question is - do you know how long it takes to the probiotics/enzymes to start to work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I feel so awful for her and just want to solve the problem!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite....
I am sorry that you are having such difficult time with your cat.
You are a loving kitty care giver, who is doing everything you can to help your sweetie pie.

I am not sure how long it takes for probiotics/enzymes to work.
We do have members who have experience using them.
Hopefully they will feedback to share with you soon.
Keep checking back.

Please make yourself at home.

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frequent vomiting of clear, foamy, bile like substance can be a sign of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). I went through this with Franklin. Eventually he had an endoscopic biopsy and the diagnosis of IBD was confirmed. He now gets maintenance prednisolone every other day and hasn't thrown up since May. Biopsy is the only way to diagnose IBD. It's not cheap, but if you can, I'd cut to the chase and get it done. I chased this issue for nearly 2 years trying to avoid the biopsy and ended up having to do it anyway.