Ongoing Digestive Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use "Forti-Flora" powder for probiotics. I plan to ask the vet next month if she thinks we should change. I also want to ask her about lycine dosing given that they are both still underweight.

In the meantime, the pumpkin is definitely working! We have had no vomiting for a week, and Susan's poops are definitely firming up. :)

Sophie

brendabiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, well, if you tried out some new treats about the time he started the throwing up, that could be it. 

Of course you worry.  We all do anytime something odd occurs.  :hugs:   Hopefully it was just the change in diet that did it and it will cease and desist :cross:

brendabiz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I called the vet and she suggested I change his food and stop the treats; but to bring him in if he threw up again. I changed his food to a no grain and have limited the amount of treats, 2, he hasn't thrown up for three days but I am being cautious! I'm so glad I found this web site!

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad too, Brenda! I have gotten so much useful information from being here. Hopefully I've been able to be helpful to someone else once in a while too. :rbheart:

Sophie

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use "Forti-Flora" powder for probiotics. I plan to ask the vet next month if she thinks we should change. I also want to ask her about lycine dosing given that they are both still underweight.

In the meantime, the pumpkin is definitely working! We have had no vomiting for a week, and Susan's poops are definitely firming up.

Sophie
Honestly, I never even think of FortiFlora as a probiotic.  I KNOW it's a single strain one, but because it's only single strain, that's why I don't really think of it as a Probiotic.  The ones I referenced above offer much  more, that's why so many of us use them.  I DO use FortiFlora as well....as a topper when mine get finicky

Not sure I've ever heard of the L-Lysine being used for weight gain, but I would  definitely ask about the use of Digestive Enzymes. 

SO glad the pumpkin is working.  That's wonderful news

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on Forti-Flora. I emailed my vet to ask her about other probiotic options for cats. I also told her that the pumpkin is working, and I want to hold off on the tylan powder.

Sophie

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another thing you might consider if the problems continue is a raw diet. that tends to firm up stool pretty quick because it's what a cat naturally eats. it may take some patience switching them over but younger cats take to it quicker..

Last edited:

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm open to trying anything which might help my babies to be healthy for the first time in their young lives. The pumpkin is working well. I talked to my vet on the phone this morning and she decided to switch George to omeprazole, but I don't know how I can get him to take it since he completely freaks if I try to give him pills. His other meds I could mix them with his food, but the omeprazole is supposed to stay in the capsule or it doesn't work for as long a period of time. Since George eats without chewing, I'm going to try and hide the capsule in food and see if he just swallows it. I also got another probiotic which is multi strain instead of single strain. That one is OK to open and sprinkle on the food. Hopefully all this will work along with the pumpkin!

Sophie