One year old cat unhappy with five month old newbie

catlady23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last November we adopted two 6 month old sibling Norwegian Forest cats from a shelter. They spent pretty much every minute together until, we think, one was stolen. He hasn't been seen for nearly four weeks now. Our remaining boy, now 14 months, became a bit lost for the first couple weeks, then seemed to settle and was *the* smoochiest, sookiest lap cat on the face of the planet, and purred almost constantly. Because he'd always had his brother with him, we thought he might be lonely and adopted a 5 month old male kitten as a companion for him. So far, big mistake.
We probably went about the meet and greet the wrong way by not doing it slowly; it was very much face to face immediately. There was no nastiness or anything unpleasant from either cat, and the last couple days there's been mutual sniffing, and sharing of food bowls, but the older one has barely spoken to us and just looks so miserable. He no longer purrs or sits or sleeps on us, although he does sleep on the bed. He'll tolerate cuddles up to a point, but he's really not happy. The only time he does purr when he's being snuggled is when he's outside, alone with us, or not within eyeline of the new kitten. It's only been a week, admittedly, but I'm wondering if our happy, snuggly, purry boy will return to normal.
We've been sweet talking him, and giving little extra treats, and generally doing anything we can think of to ensure he knows he's still very much loved. We've even rubbed his blanket all over the kitten in the hopes that his own smell might make the young 'un a little less threatening to his position at home.
Can anyone suggest anything else we can do to bring him around, or do we just wait it out and hope for the best?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 

Sounds to me like both cats are mellow and friendly for such an immediate introduction to have ended in anything but a cat fight. You're very lucky!

This is stressful for the resident cat, no doubt. If the cats aren't fighting with each other, I wouldn't separate and re-introduce but just work on the stress aspect. Here are a couple of articles which could help you with that -

[article="30316"]Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats​[/article]  

[article="29658"]The Multi Cat Household​[/article]  

Above all, what you need now is patience. Don't forget to pamper the new cat as well. He is just as stressed (if not more). 

Let us know how they're doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Anne!

Thank you for the welcome. Here's an update... Our missing cat was returned to us last night, after a month to the day! Other brothers were very glad to see each other, and the newbie is still as crazy as ever, but all three seem to be getting on remarkably well. It may be the breed, but I doubt you could get any more chilled cats than these boys. The missing one was found by a nice man who phoned to say he'd caught him and put him safely in his chicken coop ( no chickens!) til I was able to collect him. He snuggled in t o my neck as soon as I picked him up, and he purred straight up and all the way home in the car. He's currently at the vet's as he had/has some trouble with his back legs. There's a wound one one and the vet discovered recent bruising on his abdomen and figured he may have been hit by a car. He's in overnight for monitoring and medication prior to x rays tomorrow to see exactly what damage had occurred. I'll keep you posted to further developments.