One Year Ago Today

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Max, my beautiful boy in his gray tuxedo...

Early on the morning of July 31, 1997, I was driving to work and saw two women jogging toward me. Running about 10 feet behind them was a gray-and-white kitten. Very small, too small to be out on its own...perhaps eight or nine weeks old. "Odd," I thought to myself. "Who takes a kitten jogging?"

I turned around, drove back, put down my window, and said to the women, "Excuse me. Did you know there's a kitten following you?" "Yes," said one. "We've been trying to get away from it for a couple of blocks."

Suppressing an urge to run them down with my car, I pulled over, parked and got out of the car. The little gray-and-white guy had bounced across the road and was playing hide and seek around the tires of a car parked in someone's driveway. I finally caught him ("Wheee," he was saying. "Play!"), got back in the car, and returned home with said kitten clinging to the front of me staring up at me. I walked back into the house, and The Spouse said "What are you doing home so quickly?"

"Here," I said. "Get him food, water and a litter box. Gotta go to work." And just like that, we had a third cat.

Max brought us 20 years of love and joy. He was a mischievous boy as a youngster and never did learn to be dignified. He grew quiet in his later years as arthritis and diabetes took their toll, but he purred for us 'til the end. My boy.

Max, April 1997-July 5, 2017

0B0B5305-7FBF-4E9A-B5E3-56847D6BE918.jpeg

667BA1EC-6FAB-4F18-93DB-D50C32B9E74B.jpeg

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story, and that you happened to see that just at that time was no accident, it was meant to be! 20 years you gave him and he gave you, what a wonderful love story. No matter how long they stay with us is never long enough, but he had a wonderful life and is relieved to be out of his pain riddled Earthly body, he didn't want to leave you but he had to go, but you will see him again someday, perhaps chasing some Angels who are jogging lol!

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you and for saving him....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a wonderful story and very well written. I love the parts where you suppresed the urge to run the two women down and where you ordered your OH to give the new kitten the basics :)

RIP Max, you knew exactly where to be in order to find the perfect person who gave you the chance to live 20+ years.
What a lucky and smart cat you must have been!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Those are sad anniversaries--it's hard to get over the loss when they've been such a big part of your life for so long.

He was a beautiful boy. :rbheart:
He was a handsome guy inside and out. Thank you, betsygee betsygee . I didn’t think I’d still be grieving this much after a year.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a wonderful story and very well written. I love the parts where you suppresed the urge to run the two women down and where you ordered your OH to give the new kitten the basics :)

RIP Max, you knew exactly where to be in order to find the perfect person who gave you the chance to live 20+ years.
What a lucky and smart cat you must have been!
Well, I never would have actually tried to run them down, but I’m proud of myself that I didn’t even say something rude to them. (I may have muttered a few rude comments under my breath.) What’s wrong with people? But it was my lucky day. Thank you, Antonio65 Antonio65 .

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
A sad anniversary indeed but this really IS a great story. 20 years is a long time for a kitty to live. You did a great job! He still lives on in your heart, mind, rainbow bridge....
:goldstar::heartshape::rbheart:
Thank you, Plumeria Plumeria . It was our final gift to him to help him cross the Bridge. It’s the only time I’ve ever seen my husband cry.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Max, dream you deep. Your walk in your humans' hearts forever.

Such a small thing, such a brief moment to change a kitten's life for the good, and forever. TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM HIM? Well...the right person did NOT try to get away, and was rewarded with 20 years of unconditional love. And that love, as I am sure you have realized, did not die when his poor body could no longer support his great heart and sweet spirit. It changed form, become Love, and abides with you even now.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Max, dream you deep. Your walk in your humans' hearts forever.

Such a small thing, such a brief moment to change a kitten's life for the good, and forever. TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM HIM? Well...the right person did NOT try to get away, and was rewarded with 20 years of unconditional love. And that love, as I am sure you have realized, did not die when his poor body could no longer support his great heart and sweet spirit. It changed form, become Love, and abides with you even now.
Who would leave a baby out on a busy street? It hurts to think about it. My husband said he drank and drank and drank when he gave him water.

He does walk in my heart, along with those who came before him— Sara, Brandy, Teddy Bear, Mayflower—and those who are with me now: Lily, Iris, and Mocha. It’s a lovely image. Thank you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 .

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful legacy of love to carry in your heart! You could have kept going, but your heart brought you back. It was meant to be, and you gained so much for your soul. Thank God you turned around and went back that day so long ago. What he brought to your heart and your home can never be matched. He was a find,(a literal one!) a one in a million and will always have a secure place in your heart. The loving does not end with the death, it is eternal and will forever parallel the rest of your life's journey. You saved his life, and he gave so much in return. My gratitude to you for saving a life, and I know you will be blessed for your loving him so much and giving him everything he ever wanted. My thoughts and prayers are with you all in this time of sadness, but I know love will triumph and your heart will go forward and seek happiness and sunshine once more, just as he would want for those he loved so much! Take care and thank you for the beautiful tribute to taht precious boy......RIP dear Max. You will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!