One year ago today, I killed him before he killed someone

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

This says it all, Nat. It was the responsible course of action, and circumstances left you no alternative. Through you, he knew love, and is mourned. RIP, Jack.
Exactly! RIP Jack
Nat

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing.

Some dogs just come out of the womb with behavioral problems. It sounds like you gave him a really good go. I was reading a Pet Loss book I got at the library and it summed things up really well. We put too much human I guess you could say into the animal. Animals do not fear death. They don't live their lives thinking that they will die someday like people do. When you took him to the vet he didn't know what was happening, all he knew is he was in the crazy vets office just like any other time you had gone before. Any anxiety he may have felt was directly related to the place and not to you. I wish I had the book with me because it said it better than I do but basically when we take animals on it is a very "god like" position whether you look at it that way or not. We pretty much play that entity in their lives we feed them, tell them what they can and can't do, give them medical care and with that it is our responsibility to give them the dignity to go peacefully. Yes he was young, his body hadn't failed him but it wasn't safe for him to be alive. At least this way he died happy, with the person who loved them most. If you hadn't done this, what if he had hurt someone? He would end up in a shelter run, awaiting a death sentance and when they finished the job he wouldn't be in your loving arms.

My thoughts are with you during this hard time. The guilt will pass, it takes time. All of what you are feeling is a part of the grieving process, it sucks, but you did good by him. I'm sure now that he sees what was going on, now that he's on the other side of the bridge he knows you did what you needed to to protect him.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't fail him. You are the only one who didn't.

If you hadn't taken charge of him, given his problems, he likely would have met with a much, much sadder end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the last 2 days there have been 2 free Pit/Rotts on Craigslist. Breaks my heart, as I'd give anything to have Jack back, but I don't know that I have any faith in that breed combination. It alarms me.....

catman1964

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

You didn't fail him. You are the only one who didn't.

If you hadn't taken charge of him, given his problems, he likely would have met with a much, much sadder end.
I agree totally. You did all you could given the situation. I hate it had to come to this. He was a beautiful dog. I know it dosen't help to say this, but he really is in a better, safer place now.
I also know how hard and painful it is to let go. You did your best for him, so be at peace.

I remember as a kid a neighbor of my grandmother had a beautiful collie that was as gentle as could be, and was well cared for. But as he got older he slowly got cranky and would bite very easily. I got to the point that I stayed away from him, and he knew(at least I hope) that I would never even try to harm him.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the last 2 days there have been 2 free Pit/Rotts on Craigslist. Breaks my heart, as I'd give anything to have Jack back, but I don't know that I have any faith in that breed combination. It alarms me.....
I have to agree... but I think it is mostly the Rottweiler that can make them unstable. I love the Rottweiler breed but I have known so many who have been great dogs that randomly attacked people without warning. They really need firm leaders, someone who can be ahead of them 100% of the time.

Another dog will come to you I'm sure. When you least expect it someone will need you the most.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you had to make that difficult decision. He may not have been in physical pain, but it sounds like he had emotional pain. You gave him love and without you he may have never known anyone who loved him unconditionally. He knew you loved him, and I'm sure he trusted you enough to understand you were doing what was best for him. If nothing more you were with him on the most difficult journey of all, and no animal can ask for more than that.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...Poor Jack...who can forget to him....

RIP sweet boy...

Nat, I don´t know how your chest can hold you biggest golden heart!..

respectfully......rigz...