One orphaned kitten

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707
  Do you think that me be a bit young for the males? I usually have mine done around 4 or 5 months so that all will be nearly developed. A male cat I adopted from Petsmart was neutered at 2 months and he was blocked later in life and I was told by the vet that it was incredibly hard to place a catheter as he is a bit, well, small in that area. Which is why I hesitate having them done so young. He is a 14 pound cat. All my other males have done well afterwards being neutered a little later.

Well if it true what you are saying, it probably be a good idea to wait until around 6 months

@StephenQ what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@catwoman707   Do you think that me be a bit young for the males? I usually have mine done around 4 or 5 months so that all will be nearly developed. A male cat I adopted from Petsmart was neutered at 2 months and he was blocked later in life and I was told by the vet that it was incredibly hard to place a catheter as he is a bit, well, small in that area. Which is why I hesitate having them done so young. He is a 14 pound cat. All my other males have done well afterwards being neutered a little later.
As a cat rescue, we get them done as early as safe, it doesn't mean it has to be done this age, but I would NOT wait after 4 months, it's too risky and males can start spraying behavior very young, females can get prego at 4 months as well, so don't wait too long!

Also, if  I saw anything in fixing them  as young as I do, I would wait. Never any issues at all.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @catwoman707  I have never personally observed or heard of any statistical or even anecdotal correlation between any kind of medical issue (including placing a catheter) and when they were neutered. All the shelters I have worked/fostered for neuter at 2 months unless the cat doesn't weigh enough, and I definitely do think the pros outweigh any potential cons. With that said, if you feel you must wait longer, 4 months would be the absolute longest I'd recommend too for the reasons catwoman also states above.

Good luck!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just wanted to put his case out there. I do agree though, getting them fixed before being adopted or old enough to reproduce is a great thing.