One Or Two Kittens?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a little Ragdoll boy and I feel he's lonely, especially when I am at work or go out during the weekends. I mostly spend time with him in the work week evenings and some weekends. Would it be wise to get him a playmate? Like another Ragdoll. I love their docile personalities. Who gets along better two males or two cats of the opposite sex in general? If they are of the opposite gender, would they start becoming aggressive against each other once they start hitting puberty, prior to operating them? I am curious to know you cat experts out there. Thank you!

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site.
In my experience it is better to get a playmate of the opposite gender. I have two females only a few months apart but they avoided each other, no fighting just didnt interact. A year later I had a little boy and everything changed. All three now get on.
There are no guarantees but imo bith if them getting on is part due to their personalities and part the time you spend with them teaching them to play together and of course the slow introduction. There are plenty of threads on this site to here you with that. Let us know how you get on and dont forget lots of photos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I was thinking a bit about the financial aspect of it, but it should not be such a big difference. If I get a female kitten, will this cause my male boy to start "spraying" earlier than usual before neutering or they'll just treat themselves as brother and sister approaching puberty?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Theres no telling. Not all male cats spray. Perhaps someone else on this site can better advise you on avoiding that as neither of my male cats sprayed. You could also speak to the breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you introduce when the first is still a kitten, the short and long term prospects are good. They may be buddies, and at the very least should tolerate each other pretty well. If you wait till the 1st is older, and especially if your 2nd turns out to be very active (which happens sometimes even with less active breeds) you could have a more difficult time.

TL:DR - If you gonna add a kitten for the sake of your current kitty, only your first is a kitten (or under 2 anyway). After that, only reason to do it is for you, since the chances of them getting along vs problems are less favorable.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When do you plan to spay and neuter? You don’t want them to become sexually mature.