one of our cats may be dying

kwren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he may have FIP, is being treated and we are doing all we can to pull him through, but if the worst happens i am worried about how it will affect his brother - who is his littermate, we adopted them together - and am wondering if there is anything i can do to help rosie (the sick kitties brother) cope with the loss and move on. i am worried that he might stop eating or pine away for lack of his brother
he gets really worried whenever we have had to take gil to the vets and immediately comes to check on him when we get back, then curls up with him and takes a nap.

i know he will be sad, he is already mopey and unhappy because he has lost his playmate. gil hasn't been up to playing for a week or so now, and they played for at least two or three hours - chasing pouncing rough and tumble play - every day. we do have an older cat, but he is not a playful kitty. our housemate has a youngish cat who does play a little with rosie, we have been letting jack come down from her part of the house to play with him. i am kind of thinking we will look for a new cat to add to our household if gil does pass away, around the same age as rosie. he is under a year and is the youngest cat in the house, he is very very active and playful.

these two boys are very close, they sleep together, play together, eat together.

if gill passes on his own i was thinking i should let rosie be with him and smell him and see that he is gone, was thinking even if he does get too sick and needs to be put to sleep we should let rosie see the body... i don't just want him to dissappear one day and never come back.

it totally sucks to even be thinking about this, they are 8 month old cats.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are faced with this and so soon after getting them. Rosie will mourn for sure. She will need lots of special love and attention and TIME. I think its a good idea to let her see him after he has passed. Cats are smart and I think she will know he is gone. Won't stop her from mourning put will let her know what happened to him, he didn't just disappear.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry this is happening to you. I let Wellington see his brother after he died, and he licked him as he lay in the box. But he still mourned him for weeks, calling and crying. It was three months later, when Biscotte joined us and they adopted each other, that he finally came to be himself again. Another kitty is a good idea, though you can never be sure that they will click. Wellington certainly never looked for consolation among any of the other cats I already had.