One of my rat terriers was attacked yesterday

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

All that would have taken is a chain within the fence so the dog couldn't reach the sides of the fence and climb... Really, you would think anyone could figure out such simple solutions and if they're cheap - that one wouldn't cost but a few dollars.
Some dogs are very good at outwitting their owners. They'll dig, climb, jump whatever it takes to get out and see the wide world. I'm not thrilled about using a BB gun but it did solve the problem. A water hose or air horn can do the same thing though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stop - unless you actually SAW which dog attacked your terrier, you cannot say for sure its the labador. I'm sorry your pup got hurt, but you are looking at a legal battle if you shoot or do anything to your neighbor's dogs without proof!

And you didn't even look for your dog till the next morning. So you really have no idea who or what attacked him. It could have been a wild animal that your dog got in a fight with. You cannot blame the lab unless you saw it!

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the country, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to shoot a dog for bothering your livestock. She would not get in trouble with the law if she shoots the dog for that.

I also agree that NO DOGS should be allowed to roam unsupervised, no matter the size of the property. What if the terrier got attacked by a coyote or a fox?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

I also agree that NO DOGS should be allowed to roam unsupervised, no matter the size of the property. What if the terrier got attacked by a coyote or a fox?
Even a raccoon could do substantial damage.

How is Bubba doing?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Was your dog contained in a fence or on a chain? ...it sounds like he wasn't.

If he's wasn't, both owners are to blame for this. Hopefully Bubba heals quickly and doesn't have to pay much more for this mistake..
At the same time that I feel sorry for your dog being attacked, I do have to echo this post.

Why did you guys wait till daylight, as well? If my dog didn't come in from a potty break, I would be out there calling and searching immediately; especially because the dog was small. If the dog was on your neighbor's property, like it or not, you are responsible for the attack; and it may not have even been your neighbors Lab...it is foolish to accuse those dogs, when you were not there to witness anything...Sorry, but in a way, you are more at fault than any dog that attacked your boy, simply because you didn't go out and find him right away...it may not have happened if you had.

Oh, and legally, you MAY NOT shoot these dogs when they come onto your property; if you had livestock that is different, because the laws are different in protecting livestock owners from bad neighbors! If you shoot these dogs, you will wind up paying for it, if the neighbor knows it was you who did it...there are very limited laws protecting pets; but then, I guess the judicial system has it correct, because pets are OUR responsibility to protect, and that means protecting them from dangers by keeping them kenneled, or leashed (thus leash laws, and dog at large laws, that we 'break' by not doing so)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Stop - unless you actually SAW which dog attacked your terrier, you cannot say for sure its the labador. I'm sorry your pup got hurt, but you are looking at a legal battle if you shoot or do anything to your neighbor's dogs without proof!

And you didn't even look for your dog till the next morning. So you really have no idea who or what attacked him. It could have been a wild animal that your dog got in a fight with. You cannot blame the lab unless you saw it!
I agree. The dog was out all night and could have been attacked/fighting with any kind of animal. Just because you've had problems with this other dog before doesn't mean it is the one that hurt your dog.

Also, unless your dog is supervised or in a safe enclosure, you are as much at fault as the neighbour for letting your dog roam free.

I'm sorry your dog got hurt, but it's unwise to jump to conclusions and take the law into your own hands unless you are 100 percent certain the other dog was the culprit.