One Of My Cats Wont Eat

craftygal

I am at a loss about cat food
Young Cat
Purraise
I try to give Tiger (7 years male tabby) everything that is grain free. I have tried Crave, that has grain free and Purina "Beyond" grain free. He will take a couple of mouthfuls and walks away. But he whines that is still hungry. Like he is searching for more My other cat Boo (years old male) eats only dry, and he likes the dry, he dont care for wet. Sometime Tiger will munch a bit of dry, but not much. Is he just very picky when the food.

I had mentioned in the last post to get any kind to advice as far as what to do as far as food. Previously, I gave him Fancy Feast classic and it seems more to him taste buds. But seemed to get soft stools with Fancy feast. Something told me that you just rule out what brand wet food that he likes it and stick with it. Keep searching for that one food to stick it. If everyone can guide me to what their cats eat, and a good brand, I would be appreciate it greatly.

2-cute cats

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving him both dry and canned food? Maybe that would firm up his stools. Purina Beyond has another flavor of dry food that has brown rice in it if he doesn't like completely grain free. It's called Purina Beyond White Meat Chicken & Whole Oat Meal.

ghostly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What worked for my girl (who is the finickiest of finicky cats) was Soulistic from Petco. They're under Weruva. I couldn't get her to eat wet food reliably for years but now that she has kidney disease I insist on it. She likes about half the flavors and eats 1-1.5 oz each feeding (compared to about...a bite...of everything else I tried.) Also sounds like your cat has a sensitive stomach. Any of that low-quality stuff gave my girl the runs too. I have never had a single issue once I switched up from the grocery store brands, despite Soulistic being about 75% gravy. (If cost is a factor, Soulistic goes for 1.29 for a 3oz pack at my local Petco so it's not too bad like your Wellness or BB tends to be)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have one very fussy cat and another who eats most things. We've more or less given up on catering to Wiggies' fussiness, because as soon as we find something he likes, he'll only like it for a few days. So what we do is: rotate several brands and flavours all the time. Like every day they get something different from the day before.
Use lots of toppers. We've had the best luck with Stella & Chewy freeze dried raw crumbled on top, or Pure Bites freeze dried chicken. Sometimes he likes liver too. And he used to really like the bonito flakes. I've even had to crumble toppers on his dry food to get him eating. Sometimes he just turns his nose up even though he's whining for food.:rolleyes:
Good luck with Tiger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I wish it was easy. He eats wet food, not the dry. If he does, he eats a few pieces of it and walks away. I got through giving him Purina "Beyond" and the "Crave" brands. Most of it was thrown away by the night. I dont keep it. So at night, I have to give something, I finish the can that was in fridge. He maybe or not eat it. I never heard of the freeze dried raw crumbled on top, or Pure Bites freeze dried chicken. Sometimes he likes liver too. And he used to really like the bonito flakes. Whare Bonita flakes and the other. I shop at Walmart, only there. Would you know if they have it?

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
What worked for my girl (who is the finickiest of finicky cats) was Soulistic from Petco. They're under Weruva. I couldn't get her to eat wet food reliably for years but now that she has kidney disease I insist on it. She likes about half the flavors and eats 1-1.5 oz each feeding (compared to about...a bite...of everything else I tried.) Also sounds like your cat has a sensitive stomach. Any of that low-quality stuff gave my girl the runs too. I have never had a single issue once I switched up from the grocery store brands, despite Soulistic being about 75% gravy. (If cost is a factor, Soulistic goes for 1.29 for a 3oz pack at my local Petco so it's not too bad like your Wellness or BB tends to be)
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I have a limited income and I think the Soulistic and the Weruva is very high in price Also "wellness" is high. If Tiger eats just gravy, what nutrition would he benefit from gravy. See, I give him pate forms in all wet. Now I am thinking about getting Fancy Feast again. He will eat that and he likes it. All other brands were a loss and the more expensive stuff (what I think of) The "Crave" and Purina "Beyond" are kinda in the middle range that I could afford. Alas, he wont eat it.

Last edited by a moderator:

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
He only eats the wet. If he eats the dry. he will eat a few pieces of it and walk away. I never heard of "Beyond" in White Meat chicken and whole Oat Meal. I shop at Walmart and I don't think I havn't seen that form and you say its not completely grain free? I thought that good food was "grain free". But he will eat it if it's pate form.

Last edited by a moderator:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Beyond I mentioned is a dry food. Are you looking for wet food only?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may consider looking at grain-free Fussie Cat, grain-free Earthborn, and some of the cheaper Weruva lines.

Do you have an approximate price per can you're looking to stick to? That would help us narrow down your options. I completely understand about the wet food pricing issue.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you want firmer stools, you can always add a bit of canned puree pumpkin. If cost is an issue, stick to Fancy Feast and maybe consider adding some Sheba or Abound. The former I know Wal-Mart has but the latter is only in Ralph's, I believe. Both are grain-free. For Weruva, my cat fancies the Paw-Lickin' Chicken.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
Tried the pumpkin trick, the pure pumpkin, not the filling to no avail. I have tried Fancy Feast Classic and he did like it, but I thought it was inferior to others like "beyond" "crave", is a new food. Tried the Sheba before, no liking.. The Weruva is very expensive or the Wellness is high too. I have to to stick with my budget.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
I have spend up 1.09 per can at the store. I have to buy singles because he likes the flavors in the individuals. Fancy Feast was about 56 to 75 cents. The

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Then perhaps try the Abound. It's in the similar price range has Sheba, I believe. The thing with cat food though, especially cat food that is bought in grocery stores, they will always be inferior to the ones in independent pet stores or corporation pet stores. I think Fancy Feast Classics (cause that's only what I've ever fed my cat) are slightly better than Beyond due to the former not having vegetables. Never tried Crave.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies and Fancy Feast pates are fine, I feed those to my cats. Friskies has rice in it though.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, to echo some advice I've seen on here, feed what he'll eat. Like H himawari said, a little bit of pumpkin (if he'll eat it it) may help. If the FF is what he's been willing to eat so far, I'd personally keep buying that.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
Then perhaps try the Abound. It's in the similar price range has Sheba, I believe. The thing with cat food though, especially cat food that is bought in grocery stores, they will always be inferior to the ones in independent pet stores or corporation pet stores. I think Fancy Feast Classics (cause that's only what I've ever fed my cat) are slightly better than Beyond due to the former not having vegetables. Never tried Crave.
I think that i mentioned that I tried Sheba, Iams, Fancy Feast, Purina Beyond, Purina One grain free, some are grain free I mean. I am going to go crazy. Now the latest canned food was Purina One grain food and he get runny stools. And that food is grain free. Is it possible that cats cannot tolerate "grain free" food?. I am going to shop on Sunday with my son. I dont drive. If he cant make, I have to order from a company, but my income is limited. Wellness and Weruva is too high priced for me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a wet food with rice in it, maybe he needs a little grain in his diet.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, to echo some advice I've seen on here, feed what he'll eat. Like H himawari said, a little bit of pumpkin (if he'll eat it it) may help. If the FF is what he's been willing to eat so far, I'd personally keep buying that.
I think I willing to buy Fancy Feast Classic again. He did eat it before. I dont know why it stopped. Perhaps mushy stools. Is "grain free" necesssary give all cats. I did the pumpkin (real thing) before, he didn't like it. Is rice in Fancy Feast a bad thing? And what about the "Beyond"having all those veggies and FF does not.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
I tried Sheba, Iams, Fancy Feast, Purina Beyond, Purina One grain free, some are, some not. I am going to go crazy. Now the latest canned food was Purina One grain food and he get runny stools. And that food is grain free. Is it possible that cats cannot tolerate "grain free" food?. I am going to shop on Sunday with my son. I don't drive. If he cant make, I have to order from a company, but my income is limited.