One Of My Cats Is Peeing On Items Throughout The House

a_webb43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend of mine had a litter of day-old kittens (along with their mother thankfully) dumped on her farm over the summer. We already had 3 male young adult cats (all neutered), but decided we had room for one more. Our new guy, Rocky, is now 6 months old. He actually has an appointment to be neutered next week. Everyone gets along famously, but over the past 2-3 months, someone has begun to sporadically pee (not spray) on random items. (An arm chair, a throw pillow, a pair of my husband’s pants that he threw next to the hamper - that’s a separate issue lol, on top of a plastic storage tub.) We assume Rocky is the likely culprit, but have no way of knowing for sure, as we’ve never caught anyone in the act. If I have to, I’ll take all four of my guys to the vet to have them checked out for a UTI or other issues...but I thought I’d get some opinions on here first. I have no idea how I’d even begin to tell who is actually doing the peeing. Everyone is eating and drinking normally. I scoop the litter boxes daily. Are there any other behaviors I should be on the lookout for that might lend a clue? Should I hang in there another week and see if it stops after Rocky is neutered? Thanks for any ideas/thoughts/advice/insight you may have!!!

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two female cats, 10 months old not spayed yet. I took in a neutered male foster. Soon after, I discovered my girl that was in heat was urinating on my couch, rug and bath mat (that’s when I caught her in the act.). So I’m holding off until my girls get spayed next week. I was told by the rescue organization that female cats in heat will mark just like males.

I know what you’re going through and I hope, for the both of us the spaying/neutering is the answer.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some detective work to be done. I would first get a black light which will glow on all the pee spots. You want to see them all so you can clean every spot with an enzyme based cleaner. Then I would start by confining the little guy to a single room and checking that room as well as the rest of the house daily with the black light to see if any new spots show up. If spots do show up again in rooms off limits to the little one you can repeat with each of the other cats in confinement until you identify the culprit.