One of inside cats suddenly coughing

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have 6 in side cats that are all rescues. All in good health. Tonight when I came home from Christmas shopping and feeding my ferals I noticed one of my cats "coughing."

Stewpot is a 4 yr old former feral that I socialized 2 years ago. He has been inside ever since. Everyone is spayed/neutered with vaccinations. I checked his mouth for a possible foreign object and did not find anything.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but any new behavior does concern me. I caught a short video of the coughing. Stewpot

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s within your means right now, I’d take him to a vet check, show them the video, and have an X-ray of the lungs done. If that comes back inconclusive for asthma or some other respiratory issue, I’d want a cardiac ultrasound to rule out a heart issue, just for peace of mind.

If it’s not, keep a close eye on him until it’s feasible to take a trip to the vet. If he starts open mouth panting without heavy exertion,has a heavily elevated resting respiration rate,starts coughing really frequently, or displays concerning symptoms like uncharacteristic hiding, showing pain (see the feline grimace scale), or complete rejection of food, vet visit would be priority.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you been using your heater? Occasionally, we see cats begin to cough after the heat goes on due to the drying of the air. If that is the cause, a decent humidifier in the rooms he frequents may clear it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've used it sparingly over the past month, I do have gas heat and it does get rather dry. He seems to have spells that last for a couple minutes, then he stops. I did kick the heat down tonight and it has seemed to help. I will start using a humidifier to get some moisture in the air.

My gift wrapping is finally DONE, off to bed finally..... :sleep2::sleep2::sleep2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have 6 in side cats that are all rescues. All in good health. Tonight when I came home from Christmas shopping and feeding my ferals I noticed one of my cats "coughing."

Stewpot is a 4 yr old former feral that I socialized 2 years ago. He has been inside ever since. Everyone is spayed/neutered with vaccinations. I checked his mouth for a possible foreign object and did not find anything.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but any new behavior does concern me. I caught a short video of the coughing. Stewpot
I have sleep apnea. A humidifier helps because my mouth gets very dry then dry mouth makes me caugh. I have to drink a lot of water so give her churu or tiki tubes every day,almost 90% water and canned food only,assuming that's the problem
She could also be trying to get a hairball out