One Last Shelter Cat - Could I get your opinion?

shelterhelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding to my picture of our shelter's little Siamese mix boy.  I will certainly go with your suggestions!

We have one other kitty that I'm unsure of how to describe for the Petfinder.com listing. 

This gorgeous girl is definitely part seal point Siamese.  However, her fur is very long, is light underneath and dark (almost black) on top.  I'm no cat expert like you folks.  But even I can tell she's not Himalayan, as her face doesn't look Persian at all.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.  I'm trying very hard to find no-kill shelters or homes for all our cats, whether exotic looking or not.  None of our kitties 
is "common" to me. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would spontaneously call her for a Birman ("holy birman") look alike.  Who knows, she may even be a birman for real, although without papers.

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birmans have white feet.  I don't know SLH breeds that well to compare her with one, but she is certainly a seal-point domestic longhair.  She's nothing like a Persian in so many ways - coat texture, face shape, ear size, and she looks quite long in the leg.

She could well be what happens when a Siamese has donated to the local gene pool, several generations down the line, but who knows?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No kitty is common! but if you can get some of the ones like this adopted soon , or into breed rescues that may help the OTHER kitties too.
This Seal Point girl is gorgeous!

She can't be a Birman because she hasn't got white paws. Birmans have a white gloving gene.

I doubt she is one specific breed, though a pet quality Ragdoll might not be impossible. You could say is "Ragdoll" or "Ragdoll mix". Especially if she is large. Ragdolls can come either with or without white.

Does she by any chance have a Siamese voice? Just look at that head. looks similar to an old style Siamese Obviously she is not a Siamese with the coat length and coat type! and she has WAY too much fluffy undercoat to be a genuine Balinese. (though she looks like what some people call a Balinese and is really a mix of Siamese and Domestic Longhair, or sometimes with a bit of some pedigree longhair breed mixed in.

.......... The funny thing is, unlike the boy I said to call a Siamese mix although probably his most recent Siamese ancestor was ca. 1960, I think this girl MIGHT be what I would truly consider a Siamese mix -- meaning she COULD have a fairly recent Siamese ancestor. But being a longer hair cat , that makes it harder to call her one. You COULD call her something like "Balinese mix." TBH Some rescues would just call her a "Balinese." I would not want to but I would understand if you did.

More likely than really Bali is a Siamese x DLH.
Or as I said above, you could go with Ragdoll .

I would send her pix to the Siamese Rescue people too, along with the lynx point boy. I adopted a cat from them who looekd a lot like her. very long body and legs.big deep Siamese voice, chocolate point coat with cottony undercoat that matted easily , . heavier boning than a real Siamese or Bali. Some kind of Siamese x longhair mix.

You could also try Ragdoll rescues. Have you been cross posting on FB etc about what is going on with your shelter having to close?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With that long face, she's not my idea of a Ragdoll. Just thinking about what someone is looking for when they put a search word in Petfinder. . .I'd probably list her as a longhaired Siamese mix. . .even if it's a few generations back she must have some Siamese, I think that's accurate enough. Is she loud?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelterhelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies here.  She really is a beautiful girl. 

She also is very shy, and after two years, will finally let me pet her.  Of course, I'm at the shelter only two days a week and would need to be around her more to know what she sounds like.  But she is the quietest cat I've ever met.  I have NEVER heard her voice!  (The loudest, most vocal kitty at our shelter is actually the male black "smoke" kitty I asked about in my first post.)

I'm going to email the pictures of the four cats I've inquired about here and include an explanation of the very frightening situation they are in, to the Denver rescue.  Hopefully, they can (and will) help us out.  Then I and others who are concerned about the kitties will start inquiring into "no-kill" shelters in the immediate area about the rest of our kitties.  We are determined NONE of our cats will be killed if we can help it. 

Maewkaew, our shelter has its own Facebook page, but I'm not the one who runs it.  The lady who does is putting the cats on there.  She has also posted the dogs who need homes right away too.

I appreciate all your help. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all Siamese & Orientals have 'the voice'.  My breeding girl doesn't which is a relief when she is calling!  Mind you this next time round she is off to stud, so the stud owner will hear the little noise she does make.  She does do super-slutty behaviour including parking herself under a neutered (5 years ago) male in 'the position'....

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Willowy , yeah, that head would be VERY nonstandard for a Ragdoll. I was just thinking of someone wanting a longhair pointed cat, and the body is sort of Ragdoll-like. but yes Siamese x DLH mix is a good guess.
&nbsp
@ Oriental Slave, You're right, and I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a rule they all have That Voice. I just thought if this girl at the shelter DID have a typical meezer voice, that would be another hint that she probably had some Siamese not far back. Actually my queen in the avatar pic doesn't have The Voice either! Her parents do, but she somehow got a high pitched voice. .

&nbsp
.... @ Shelter Helper . Hope RMSR can take them. and definitely tell them about the lynx point boy's buddy. I know sometimes they DO take a bonded companion and keep them together. Those two buddies do look alike. If they came from the same home , or same colony of strays, maybe they are some sort of relatives?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelterhelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maewkaew, unfortunately we know for sure that the two kitties are not related in any way.  The grey and white tabby was born at our shelter.  The lynx point kitty was surrendered to our shelter about a month later.  I will try to ask the Siamese rescue if they could possibly take both cats, since they are good friends.

I'm hoping Rocky Mountain Siamese Rescue will take all the kitties I've posted about here.  I know they probably get many, many requests from people wanting them to take cats.  But I'm hoping that, when they hear the circumstances, they will help us out.  Another volunteer and I are willing to make arrangements to get them transported.  We would also be more than glad to make a generous donation to them.  All  the cats have been tested for disease (Feline Leukemia, etc.) and have been vaccinated.  All the kitties except the gray and white tabby have been spayed or neutered.  We would be willing to spay the tabby if she would be accepted.

If the Denver facility cannot take them, I'll contact "siameserescue.com" to see if anyone else in their organization can help.  We want to see these kitties safe and sound, so we can get to work trying to get homes or a "no-kill" shelter placement for the other 11 kitties who are not exotic-looking.  They are wonderful cats too.  With the economy the way it is and our low population around here, it's getting harder and harder to find good homes for cats (dogs and other animals too).

Thanks to everyone for all your ideas about our kitties.  You have a great site here.  I wish I could have found you under better circumstances. 

Sue

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well, even if not related, it is just as nice that the kittens made friends at the shelter. It would be super if they could go home together. The cat I mentioned before (a chocolate point semi-longhair with a deep Siamese voice, who had had some bad experiences with our species and still had a hard time trusting people ), had bonded to another cat in a foster home, and the foster mom thought the abused cat would do better with his outgoing, people-loving buddy going to a new home with him, so I adopted both of them.

It will be great if Rocky Mountain Siamese Rescue could take the cats but if not, yes it may be a good idea to try the next closest ones within the Siamese Rescue network.Also try looking for some other rescues that specialize in breeds/ cats who resemble breeds. Here is a site that has listings of those rescues. http://purebredcats.org/

Also some blogs have a "Shelter Pet of the Day" ( or Week or whatever)... You might try sending in a photo and paragraph about some of your other special animals to those. One that I remember that does a featured Shelter Pet (both dogs and cats) is yesbiscuit which is a blog about improving shelters, no-kill communities, and just general dog and cat stuff. It has some dedicated animal-loving commenters /followers You might tell about your shelter's situation....

Also if you haven't already, post in the rescue section on this forum, maybe people will have ideas. What about doing an adoption event and trying to get some local news coverage. maybe offer a special discounted adoption fee for one weekend?

Last edited: