One Kitty or Two?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a note because you mentioned the patio -- pleeeeease don't ever let your kitties outside! It exposes them to all sorts of dangers you want nothing to do with, especially disease, and statistically, it greatly reduces their life expectancy. An apartment is fine for kitties! Just get them a kitty tree, some dangly toys, a birdfeeder on the patio to attract live entertainment... they'll be very happy.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

Thanks guys for the support. Once I'm a month into school and I'm sure the schedule is what I think it will be - I'm gonna go for it. I'm not much of a traveler and I already spent a month finding an apartment in Irvine that allowed cats in preparation for this - so doing it again is no big. And I never take anything lightly.

Can't wait to get my new kitties! I'll post pics in a few months once I get them!
Good luck!

We lived in a 1 bedroom apartment w/ a patio as well with our 2 and they had plenty of room! We took them outside (on leash/harness/collar) all the time & the loved it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Just a note because you mentioned the patio -- pleeeeease don't ever let your kitties outside! It exposes them to all sorts of dangers you want nothing to do with, especially disease, and statistically, it greatly reduces their life expectancy. An apartment is fine for kitties! Just get them a kitty tree, some dangly toys, a birdfeeder on the patio to attract live entertainment... they'll be very happy.
I'm not going to - its a closed in patio on a second floor - they'd be pretty hard pressed to manage to get out of it, and I'll only let them out there with supervision.

I want indoor kitties, my family has always had outdoor kitties and while I don't think its necessarily that terrible to let them out depending where you live (we lived in a nice suburb all of our kitties were fine) I don't want to risk it and I would rather have clean, loving, indoor kitties.

The birdfeeder is a great idea though - hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's better to have 2, honestly especially if you're considering adopting 2 kittens so they can entertain each other when you're out and about. I personally would adopt older cats, since kittens have more of a chance getting adopted. but it's totally up to you.
but I think kittens will bond quicker by playing with each other, etc. but if you adopt older cats I am sure they will start playing. Miagi and Tiger chase each other around the house after I go to bed.

We got Miagi when he was 9 months old and he grew up with our hound, Buster and when Buster was too big for him he needed a buddy of his own species.

they still love each other, dearly though. that was in 2004 We adopted Tiger about a year later for a buddy for Miagi and he was 3 or 4 when we got him. It took awhile for Miagi and Tiger to bond but that's okay, too. they won't bond over night when they were together, I always supervised them incase a fight broke out and no fights have have ever broke out.
It may take awhile for them to bond if they are not already bonded. Good luck!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our 1st 2 together and they were both extremely affectionate with both my DH and myself. I suggest 2 as that way they won't be lonely when you can't be there.