One kitten + One human

minniewinnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month kitten and I've been in the house this past month so I'm usually home with her during the day and everyone comes home at night but I'm still there. She doesn't really get a break from me (
). I leave the house for a few hours but that's about it. She follows me around the whole house and loves to sleep with me and sleep next to me while I'm doing work.

Is she going to be too attached? I'm going to be leaving for a week on a business trip soon and she'll be all alone during the day until everyone gets home to play with and whatnot.

Good or bad? What should I do? (would love to convince everyone to get a second cat, not sure if it'll fly)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two kittens are easier than one; they keep each other occupied. At seven months, you'd have to do a proper introduction, but they might well like each other well enough to play.

But don't get a second kitten unless you are all willing to commit to taking good care of both cats.

Some cats really are strongly attached. Does she get nervous when you're not there? If she's the type to cuddle a lot, but doesn't get nervous when you're gone, then she'll probably be okay. Even if she does get nervous, maybe this is for the best; she has to learn to be on her own some time. She's seven months old, thankfully; if she were very small, I would be more worried; but seven months, for a cat, is the equivalent of an older teen human. So, she is old enough to "take care of herself", even if she does love to hover near you when you're home.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two is better than one
. I have two siblings now who are almost a year old and as I see the interaction between them I understand how much my first cat, who lived alone with me, was missing! ... And hoh much i missed. When I leave on trips, I hire one person to come during the day, and my family subs at night. Already left once for a week when they were about 8 months, no issues.

Others will comment on introductions at 7 months but from I read here, try to go with same age, resist the kitten urge.

I have a boy and a girl, brother/sister, both neutered. My boy is like your boy, a lover. Always on me, purring non stop. Both sleep in my bed at night. Worked out for me as the boy is huge, 18lb and a dominant force in the house, and a girl is 10lb, demure and ok with him being first at everything, except food! Why? You'll see dominance is a big part in 2+ cat households.

One difference, I work outside of the house and gone often 10-12 hours a day as I also have a long drive. If you are home most of the time, one is ok, just make sure he's looked after once or better twice a day.

Good luck and come back to give an update.