One for the guys - were you taught to be self-sufficient?

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie (catfolks) is sleeping right now, so I'll answer this for him....yes, most definitely! He's the youngest of three, his brother and sister being several years older than him. His mom and dad were self-employed, often worked early and late, so as he put it, he learned to cook out of self defense. He's a great cook, knows how to clean, do laundry and iron too....but like me, it's not his "favorite" thing to do, lol!

wolfmoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a stay at home dad (wife works) so I do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry etc for three daughters.....I've been pretty much self sufficient since 17 when I joined the British Army.... so yes i can even use an iron pretty good if the need arises hehe

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my fiance was taught to clean, but he still sucks at it. He can't cook for anything, but I told him, when we have kids (especially a son) we are sharing dinner duty. So he better learn a few dishes to make because I don't want my (future) son to think that women belong in the kitchen while he sits on his butt playing video games.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all had assigned "chores" around the house when I was growing up, and we rotated them, so yes, I did learn most of the in's and out's of keeping house. And, when my grandfather fell ill, we all spent a week with grandma to help out with her housework while she cared for him, and she taught me the secret of homemade biscuits.

And no, I can't post the secret, because it's basically "knead the dough till it 'feels right'.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, like others, I'll post for hubby, too!

He wasn't really taught to be self suffecient, from what he tells me, anyway, until his dad remarried when he was 9. Then his step mom tried to make him do things himself, which of course caused him to rebel... And I think he still rebels against house work to this day for that very reason!

He's getting better, though!

I was taught to be self suffecient, but, well... I always seem to find something better to do!

So between the two of us, well, our house can fall in to quite the state before we're like "yup, something's gotta be done!"

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laugh,

I was just wondering how many gals here are self sufficient:

* Can you change your cars tires?

* hook up a new washing machine to the water pipes?

* Repair the lawn mower?

* Put a shelf up?

* Put some new tiles up in the bath room?

... my brother learned how to repair cars from my dad- he and his buddies would be off, buisy digging a ditch (?) so they could lower an old motor out of one of their cars for replacement

Me- I'd go find a garage to do that kind of a thing.

regards,

Christine