One-eyed Cat's Missing Eye Troubles

bucktoothfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, my cat Moe only has one eye and I've noticed the little hole where his other eye used to be has been getting clogged up with black gunk. I try to pick it out when I can but sometimes it is really stuck in there and forms like a little marble of hard goo before I can get it out. It must be uncomfortable for him! I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with this? He was one-eyed when I got him so I was never given any instructions or info about how to properly care for it or how the operation went. Is it normal for their to even be a little hole for discharge to come out after an eye gets removed? Or should it have been totally stitched up? I'm wondering if the shelter he was at had to just do the cheapest surgery on his eye so it wasn't done in the best way and that is why he is having these issues? I've had him for around 5 years now so it is clearly not like endangering his life but I would like to know if I could do anything to make him have an easier time being a one-eyed boy. He is going to his vet check up in a few weeks so I will also ask the vet, I just wanted to hear all you cat folks opinions as well.

Here is a picture of his cute face (including his little eye hole filled with goo)

and also a picture of the big awful bead of goo I just pulled out (which must have felt awful to have stuck in there :sniffle:)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
In case people who have one-eyed cats aren't on the site this weekend, would you be able to email those photos in to your vet and ask him/her about it now? You're right, that's a pretty honkin' big ball of goo.

sue harrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In case people who have one-eyed cats aren't on the site this weekend, would you be able to email those photos in to your vet and ask him/her about it now? You're right, that's a pretty honkin' big ball of goo.
Hi...I, too am having problems with my cat, who had one eye removed in March. It is still weeping a yellowish fluid, and I, too, picked out a hard lump of black out of her fur under her eye this morning. It was gooey yellowish under neath so I put eye ointment on her face where it appeared raw. Still appears to be seepage from the inside corner of removed eye . She has been on two rounds of convenia, first right after stitch removal in March because of weepage and again in April when she was to another vet on April 26 as her good eye was infected. I also used fucithalmic vet eye gel on the good eye, but we did not notice the removed eye was running too. So I started using the ointment on it this morning. Why is it still weeping two months after removal?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That makes sense. And they are no longer blinking the tears onto an eyeball, so the tears collect and harden. That may be the answer, but do ask the vet.

sue harrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet says some seepage is normal, that all eyes make discharge and the tear ducts are still there. So it could be normal. It would be best if you asked your vet though.
Hi...I took Chloe to the vet today and her first thought was the eye lid had opened up with the same thing that was wrong when she took out the eye....she took her in the back room for a closer look ...(.her fur was so messy that I could not bare to look at it) She shaved the fur and came back with kitty and a smile. The eye had healed except for a tiny spot which was weeping as it takes a long time to heal. Apparently there should be no tears so this is from a not quite healed wound. I am to keep it clean and dab on a bit of regular polysporin till it heals. So you were right! Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't begin to tell you how happy I am that this was such a simple and fixable issue! YAY!

sue harrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can't begin to tell you how happy I am that this was such a simple and fixable issue! YAY!
I had to call the vet again today. Her eye started bleeding in the night. I am hoping she scratched her face somehow. I talk to the vet and we will see how she is tomorrow. In the meantime she is wearing a soft elizabethian collar.

sue harrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beats the "Cone of Shame," hands down. Keep us posted!
The little monkey got her leg through the collar so I had to take it off in the middle of the night. The I woke up with her against my head (always) digging her eye with a hind foot. So back on with the collar. She takes it off so I have to watch her. Bleeding stopped. Looking good.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they ever finish evolving opposable thumbs (and it looks to me like they are working on it), we're going to be up a very smelly creek with no sign of a paddle!

sue harrison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they ever finish evolving opposable thumbs (and it looks to me like they are working on it), we're going to be up a very smelly creek with no sign of a paddle!
They are getting better at un doing things all the time. Her eye is looking much better!
ROTFLMAO....they are getting better at un doing things daily it seems. You are right about that creek.