One Day Old Kittens

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two things idk if im in the right place new at this, but my cat just had babies yesterday morning (her second litter) and she had 4 one past away this morning because it was really cold but we couldnt get it warm in time. And another one keeps feeling cold and i keep warming it up and it seems like its having trouble breathing, like it holding its breath then starts breathing again. Idk what to do im scared its going to die. And i dont have the money to go take it to the vet.
Second thing the 5 month old baby (little cat) is from her first litter we kept, once the newborns were born he ran over and snatched ones head and tried to run with the baby. All day yesterday and today he has been going at them and trying to steal them and tosses them in the air. The kitten that died had a nice scratch on its foot and looked like little bit marks. One of the other kittens has two nice little cuts/gashes like little chunk out... Why is he doing that? I finally put them in my daughters room to keep them safe. Is he trying to kill them or play with them??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness you separated them! Keep them separated from now on.

Are the kittens nursing well?

Do you have a heating pad you can set on low under the blankets, or a hot water bottle? The kittens must stay warm.

The 5-month-old is jealous, and also sees the newborns as toys. He also needs to be neutered, and mom needs to be spayed after she weans this litter.

What is your city and state and I'll locate a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a heating pad ive been keeping all 3 on it, but the mom keeps putting them under my daughters bed :/ im worried about the one for sure and kinda about the other also but not as much and the gray one seems to be feeding well but im not sure about the other two i try putting them at the nipples but they just lay there, althought the one was just trying to suck but mom was not laying there she went for a food/water break. Ive given them a little bit of formula twice today to make sure they get something. I feel bad about the babys cuts though and dont know what to do :( im a worry wart
Reading pa

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also ive had a lot of litters and this is the first time any cat did this with the babys.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep giving them formula. Keep them warm. Clean the cuts and apply neosporin.

Where are you located?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you, I missed that! I'll look for nearby low-cost clinics. :)

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The two are really cold and look like there not breathing very much i have them on a heating pad nd keep flipping them to each side... The one cries a little and the other doesnt cry at all :'(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are losing them. Are they the ones the bigger kitten had in his mouth? This is sad.

When did the kitten who is crying last eat? Will it take anything?

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg idk what to do so the one just started breathing really heavy then died in my hands nd i put it down nd then a couple seconds it started breathing again, nd then started crying nd now breathing heavy again :'( nd tha other one is crying a lil but just sleeping... I just gave them some formula again nd mom is licking them .... I feel im guna wake up to both dead in tha morning :(

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And the one that liked died in my hand went stiff... But now its just laying there...

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so white paws on the left is the one that like came back to life and is moving around a little nd the one on the right just lays there moves a little here and there and it seems like it stops breathing for a couple seconds then catches its breath

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they are that cold / dying, dont give them more formula. Their digestion has shut off, so formula will not help any longer. The trick to try is to give them glucose sugar water. In practice it will be honey solved in water, or white caro syrup with water. Both contain much glucose sugar. This sweet water of course body warm.

If they are dying for real so they are dying for real. But the glucose sugar water may buy them precious time for a chance to possible recovery.

Glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested. It goest straight into blood already from mouth and also along the whole digesting system.

If they dont eat at all, you can even try with smearing some sweet honey water on their lips and gum. By the same reason.

Also, do massage on them, with your forefinger, on limbs and body, aside of this heating pad. An IR-heating lamp may too be very useful, if you have. They are quite common, many rheumatic people has them, also people whom has terraries with lizards, and whom hatch chickens. I mean, you can probably lend one from some neigbhour.

Omg idk what to do so the one just started breathing really heavy then died in my hands nd i put it down nd then a couple seconds it started breathing again, nd then started crying nd now breathing heavy again :'( nd tha other one is crying a lil but just sleeping... I just gave them some formula again nd mom is licking them .... I feel im guna wake up to both dead in tha morning :(

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They passed, i had to get sleep and mom took them under the bed during the night, off of the pad. I feel like a failure, i tried rubbing them also on top of heating pad!! Thank you for all the help everyone.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. It has nothing to do with anything you did or did not do. You tried everything you could. Some kittens are born with genetic issues and simply do not make it.

There is one healthy one left though, right?

MrsGreenwalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, and yes the all gray one is a fatty and good and loud. Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's nice to hear. I hope mama kitty is okay with just her one left. :)